F. 5

"Yuna unnie!"

I turn around to see who called for me and I see Danbi running towards me.

"Ne?"

"I just wanted to thank you for yesterday... For that you were the only one who dared to stop Jaehyun..." She mumbles and I can see her glassy eyes. Was she going to cry?

I was ready to snap a "No problem" but something in the way she looked at me stopped me from doing it. Faith was clear as a blue sky in her eyes and I couldn't help but wonder why on earth would anybody bully her.

"It was no big deal, really..." I say instead. "Jaehyun deserves much worse, but... why did he do that to you?"

"I..." She starts but hides her face away and I realise that tears were streaming down her cheeks.

"I'm... I'm sorry." I say, shocked by her actions.

I look around and I see a couple students staring at us so I turn to Danbi and hug her lightly.

"Let's go somewhere more peaceful." I say, holding her arm.

She nods slightly and follows me.

*

"Tell me now, if you don't mind." I say leaning against the door of the empty class room.

Danbi sits silently on a chair, playing with her tiny fingers. There was something in her movements that made me feel like she was somehow... Scared to talk about it.

I don't even know why I am doing it right now. I never stood Danbi. I guess that my curiosity simply gets the best of me at this point.

"I used to like Jaehyun..." She starts.

"What?"

"Please don't judge me!"

"I... I won't, it's just..."

I try to find my words as she looks at me, eyes full of hope. How can I tell her off when she looks at me like this?

"Why him?" I say eventually.

She sighs heavily.

"We... Uhm... We used to be best friends when we were younger... He was a sweet and caring boy, I could very easily rely on him... I loved him... And he was saying he loved me too..."

She takes a deep breath and continues:

"But it hasn't been the same this past while... I tried to talk to him, in order to understand why he didn't want to hang out with me anymore..."

Her voice sounded as she might die in front of my eyes and it was scarry as hell. I am not used to be concerned about any other people besides my brother and Jungkook, so seeing Danbi speaking to me as if I was her friend despite the fact that I was never really nice towards her, caught me completely off guard.

"...but he kept telling me to stop following him around... Lately he's called me names, I..."

She looks at me with teary eyes. Oh my God, this girl is going to make me cry too if she keeps looking pathetically helpless in front of me.

"...I don't know what I did to deserve this."

Somehow, I was moved by her story. Judging by what I saw yesterday, I know would had never thought that Danbi and Jaehyun were two kids in love some time ago. Maybe she was lying, I tell myself. Maybe everything she's told me right now was a lie made up in order to make me pity her. Maybe she's just a freak...

But the way she said those things... The way she looked at me and the way she was sobbing while speaking a few moments ago, all of it seemed... Pure to me. I couldn't say that she's a liar or a freak or anything of this kind, because I felt that she was truly hurt and what she's told me now it's completely true.

How do you know? Have you been hurt before?

I chase away these thoughts and I look at Danbi, trying to understand why would Jaehyun drop her like that. As I look at her right now, I actually realise that she's truly beautiful. Clearly more than I'll ever be, although I know I won't ever admit it out loud. But somehow, she doesn't seem aware of it. And I guess that it makes her even prettier.

"You're really pretty." I say.

Damn, Yuna, you should comfort her somehow, not tell her she's pretty...

Once again, I speak without thinking twice...

She looks at me with wide eyes and I can see a pretty little smile on her face.

"Kamsahamnida, unnie." She says.

Ugh, I want to hate her so bad but how can I when she's so freaking nice towards me?

"I'd say I'm sorry for your situation with Jaehyun, but I guess sorries don't help too much, do they?" I say silnetly, watching very carefully after my words.

She sighs without saying a single word.

"I have no idea why he'd give up on such a pretty girl like you, it seems like you cared about him a lot..." I continue my speech. "But I guess that if he can't see what he's losing, then he's not worthy enough having you."

Danbi slightly shakes her head.

"But he didn't use to be like this..."

"People change." I say bitterly.

"Unnie, you don't understand!" She raises her tone a bit at me which also catches me off guard.

She lowers her voice, realising how disrespectful she was and continues:

"I've known him for about 15 years and he's never been this way before. I want him back, I surely do, but if it's not possible, I guess that I'm worthy an explanation at least. That's all I ask for. And I've asked him for that maybe too much now, but he won't say anything besides curse words."

I'm thinking now, why did I never talk to Danbi before? Yeah, well, maybe she's greeted me and I've mumbled something simillar to a greet, but have I never had a proper conversation with her?

Maybe because you hate seeing people enjoying the life that they're living in, unlike you...

"You deserve an explanation." I agree, speaking more to myself. "And I'll make sure you'll have it soon."