F. 43

"JungKook? What are you doing here?" I ask, stopping in my tracks.

My best friend was standing at a few feet in front of me, being obviously surprised to see me. He was holding a paper bag that had the symbol of a pharmacy on it. What is going on here?

I've been discharged from the hospital today and I was ready to leave when I ran into him at the entrance of the hall.

"Son? What-..."

I turn around and I see mr. Jeon peaking from a room, surprised to see me. I don't have a good feeling about this.

"JungKook, what is going on?" I ask doubtfully.

"Uh, Yuna, I can't..."

He doesn't finish his sentence but he walks past me, going towards the room his father was in. You're not running away, honey. Not this time.

"Are you helping your mom?" I ask knowing that his mom works at this hospital and he stops, turning his head towards me.

"I guess..."

I sigh exasperated.

"JungKook, stop lying to me for God's sake! Do you think I don't know that your mom was actually home back then when you hit your head..."

"She wasn't home, okay?" He says, turning towards me.

I frown and he averts his gaze.

"I-..." He begins and sighs. "It's okay, believe me."

"Right now I can't." I speak. "Because I have all the reasons it's not okay."

He closes his eyes, taking deep breaths. I'm pushing way too much.

Now or never though.

I wait, holding my breath.

"Mom... was diagnosed with leukemia."

I step back, my eyes widening.

"W-what?" I whisper.

He doesn't say anything, looking at his boots. For a few seconds, it's like the time has stopped. The air gets stuck in my lungs and I can't move. However, when I wake up from my frozen state, I step towards him and hug him tightly. He wraps his arms around me and I hear him silently sobbing.

"Kookie baby you should've told me earlier, I should've been by your side..." I whisper.

"It's alright..." he whispers with sorrow in his voice.

It hurts me.

"JungKook?"

It was his dad.

"I'm sorry, I really have to go." JungKook whispers pulling away. "I'll talk to you later, okay?"

I nod and let him leave.

I can't leave him.

I can't leave him like that.

I can't break up with him now.

And I go to find my brother and return home.

***

My hands were shaking hard on the hot mug of steaming tea. My lips were trembling and cold seemed to take over me.

I knew it, I knew that there was something wrong with mrs. Jeon, I knew that something bad was going on-...

Hoseok takes the mug from my hands carefully and places it on the coffee table in front of us. Truth is, considering the way my hands were shaking, I could've dropped the mug anytime. But now I didn't know what to do with my hands, I was fidgeting in an uncontrollable way and I couldn't breathe properly.