F. 44

"Kookie." I whisper as soon as I see him playing with his phone while sitting at a table in the corner of the café.

I rush to that table and sit across from him. He lifts his head and gives me a small smile.

"Hey." He says, attempting to smile.

I smile lightly.

"I know it's late but..." JungKook sighs. "...it's now, I feel the need of letting you know everything... you deserve to know."

I look at him with curiosity and wait for him to start saying what he has to say.

"I am sorry I didn't tell you earlier about mom-..."

"Don't." I say, reaching for his hand. "Of course you should've told me earlier but don't... don't apologize for not doing so. It was your decision to make, not mine."

He gives me a small smile and squeezes my hand lightly.

"Is she..." I sigh and look up at him. "Is she gonna be okay?"

He nods.

"Hopefully. She had to do some analyzes today, medical investigation... we'll find out soon if the treatment worked..." he says lowering his head.

"I'm sure it's gonna be alright, mrs. Jeon is a fighter." I say, trying my best not to let my tears fall.

"Yeah, uh-..." he hesitates. "I hope, you know? I really hope-..."

He avoids his gaze and I hear him slightly sniffing.

"JungKookie..." I whisper and push myself closer, over the table we were sitting at, as much as I could.

"I can't even think about-..." he stops and sniffs again.

"And you don't have to because she is going to be alright. Everything is going to be alright, everybody is going to be fine." I say, squeezing his hand. "Never lose hope, Kookie, that's our greatest power..."

He slowly turns his head towards me and I give him a smile, as genuine as I could.

"You're right." He says smiling.

"Aren't I always?" I say and he chuckles silently.

I watch him as he shifts in his seat, wandering if there is anything I could say to help him forget about the hardships he's facing, hardships that he definitely doesn't deserve. I don't want to see him hurting. And that's why I'm praying his mom is going to be... alright. For his sake. For mine as well.

"What were you doing at the hospital though?" He asks and I take a deep breath, preparing myself to tell him the whole story.

He listens carefully, without saying anything, caressing the skin of my hand with his thumb.

"I knew something was off about Danbi." He says when I finally finish.

I sigh.

"The worst part is that I kind of knew too, I was just too stubborn to accept that." I say. "She was too... I don't know, clingy, to be genuine but I tossed it aside."

"Don't blame yourself for that." He says looking carefully at me. "You've been nothing but nice to her, her and Jaehyun are just a twisted combination you should stay away from in the future."

I blink a few times, looking at him carefully, knowing that I haven't told him the actual reason Danbi has blamed me for Jaehyun all along.

"You know about Jaehyun, don't you?" I sigh and he nods after a second of hesitation.

I sigh, lowering my head. This is going down right now.

"Hey." He says and I lift my head to look at him.