F. 15

"What am I going to tell my brother?" I ask myself sighing.

"What about the truth?" Jimin says, looking at the road.

"Are you crazy? He'll be insanely worried!"

"Doesn't he have the right to be?" Jimin asks. "Plus, don't expect me to cover you, you still haven't told me how you got those cuts."

"Fine." I say.

"Will you tell me how you got those cuts?" Jimin asks excited.

"No, I will tell my brother the truth." I say and Jimin sighs.

We sit in silence for a while.

"You cut yourself, didn't you?"

My eyes widen.

"What?"

"Your wounds. You did that to yourself, right?" He asks, his eyes still on the road ahead.

I was staring at his side-profile which in the dim light of the lanterns outside looked ethereal.

Eventually, he peaks at me for a second before focusing on the road again.

"I'll take that as a yes." He says.

"What? No! How could you think that?" I say, trying to sound credible.

"If that's not it, then tell me what it is." He says.

Silence.

He was right, after all. Would he believe me if I told him something else? What else could I tell him? That I was attacked by a serial killer and he wanted to murder my left arm? That's not plausible.

"I knew it..." He sighs.

"It was an accident." I say.

"How can you possibly cut yourself accidentally so many times? And this deep?" He asks.

"I don't know." I shrug.

"You know I don't believe you, right?" He says.

"It's not my problem, believe whatever you want." I say.

He sighs.

"You don't know me." I suddenly say.

"Yeah, I know." He says.

"So stop pretending that you know me." I say looking at him.

"I'm not pretending that I know you, I'm trying to get to know you. There's a difference, you know." He defenses himself.

"The bet." I say.

"What?"

"If I told you why, I wouldn't win the bet." I say.

"What... Aish, for real, Yuna? Is that the stupid reason why you're not telling me?" he asks visibly frustrated.

"It's not the only one." I say looking out the window.

"Do you really want to win the bet this much?" He asks and I look at him again.

You don't understand.

I'm sorry.

"You disrespect me." I say. "You think low of me. Go ahead and fall for that. I'll show you that I won't."

***

"Yah, you should've stayed home, for God's sake." I tell JungKook as soon as I see him in front of my house.

"I'm feeling better." He says. "In plus, I don't want to miss out too much at school."

I sigh. At least he's dressed up with warm clothes.