Chapter Five

"Which color do want baby?" I asked Maya who was currently sitting between my legs

"Mmm.. this one." She pointed to the clear beads in the multi-colored bead jumbo packet we got from the hair care store down the street.

"I thought you liked pink beads in your hair, what happened?"

"I'm a big girl now mommy. Pink is for babies." She explained,  fixating her eyes back on the T.V which was currently playing reruns of the Bernie Mac Show.

"You're growing up too fast." I mumble to myself before weaving the clear beads into the first cornrow on her head. I was on the second to last braid when someone started banging on the front door.

I huffed and stood up.

"I'll be right back, okay?" I said to Maya. She nodded in response, not letting her eyes leave the screen.

"I'm coming!" I yelled as I approached the door. I swing it open, not bothering to look who was on the other end before hand. My face instantly twisted up when I saw that it was none other than Damon on the other end.

"What're you doing here?"

"Don't play with me Alex, you know I'll fuck you up." He pushed past me into the apartment. "Where that nigga at huh? Where he at Alex?!"

"What're you screaming about now?" I sighed. I could already feel the headache creeping up on me.

"I came round' her last night to check on you and my daughter and Diamond said you was out on a date." He got in my face. "I swear to God Alex if you giving away what's mine I'll murk you and that nigga."

"First off all get out my face," I mushed his head away, "Secondly I'm not yours. You're the one that kicked me and your daughter out the house for your new bitch remember? Wasn't she pregnant too?"

"It wasn't mines." He mumbled bitterly.

"Oh that's great, now you only have one child to worry about." I rolled my eyes pushing past him to the living room.

"Alex! Aye! Don't walk away from me!" I heard him call after me.

"Who's that mommy?" Maya asked as her eyes shifted between me and the wall which Damon would soon appear from.

"Don't worry about it Maya, keep watching your show." She nodded and turned back.

"She doesn't know me no more?"

"How would she know you? You're never there when we need you to be."

"I been-"

"Busy. Don't we all know it. This shit is getting real old Damon, if you don't man up soon I'm gonna replace you, Maya deserves a father."

"I'll try harder Alex I swear, I just need... time."

"You've had four years already! How much more 'time' do you need?!"