Chapter Forty One

Y'all knocked it out of the park with the comments on the last chapter. I expect nothing less on this one.  ☺️
——

Maya rolled onto her side and pulled her comforter up and over her head as the rain started to pick up outside

Maya rolled onto her side and pulled her comforter up and over her head as the rain started to pick up outside. She was never really a big fan of thunderstorms or rain period since she had so many bad memories in relation to it.

She covered her ears and started humming the song Alex would always sing to her to calm her down but only ended up stressing herself even more.

"Rain, rain, go away, come again another day." She sung louder while covering her ears tighter than before. The thunder rumbled again outside and she started hyperventilating. All of her traumatic memories slowly started to make their way out of the recesses of her mind.

Maya hummed along with Alex as she played with her toes. She was sat up on the bathroom counter watching her mom apply heavy coats of makeup onto the bruises on her face.

"What're smiling for pretty girl?" Alex cooed making Maya's little smile spread. Today was her third birthday and she couldn't be more excited.

"Birthday." She said bouncing up and down happily.

Alex wrapped up her makeup and scooped Maya up.

"You wanna see what I got you?" She asked as they walked into the bedroom. It was her, Damon, her mom, and Maya all living in a small rundown apartment on the bad side of the Bronx. Damon moves them here from Manhattan claiming that it was better for his 'business'.

Right now they were home alone. Damon was out and was supposed to be out the entire day and Latoya, Alex's mom, was more than likely down at their local neighborhood crack house. Alex set Maya down on their 'bed' which was just an old mattress with 2 little blankets.

"Close your eyes." She instructed as she made her way over the the closet. She opened it up and pulled out the small box she picked up from dollar tree to put Maya's gift in. She walked back over to Maya who had her hands over her eyes. She slid the box into her lap.

"Open."

Maya's eyes quickly flew open and landed on the box. She'd never received an actual physical gift on her birthday before so this exciting to her.

"Thank you." She said as she hugged the box.

"Maya you have to open the box baby, the gift is inside." Alex chuckled.

Maya's mouth formed and 'O' shape and then she carefully started to open the box. Even at the tender age of 3 Maya was very gentle with everything she received knowing she had to make it last since new things wasn't really a concept in their household.

Maya gasped. "SHOES!" She snatched the new pair of shoes out of the box and squealed.

"You like them?"