Chapter Forty

Wow, would you look at that. ^
The same eyebrows, nose, ears, chin shape and dimples. ☺️
——

"Bye bye!" Maya smiled, waving to everyone she passed. She had forced Christian to let her sit on his shoulders as they made their way down to the parking deck.

"Mr. Maurice, that man has a bald spot!" She said a little too loud making the people around them turn her attention to her and then the man she was pointing at. Christian was a very tall man so she had the perfect view of the tops of everyone's heads from her current spot on his shoulders.

The man she had singled out quickly moved away from the crowd, trying not to draw more attention to himself (or is receding hairline) but did the opposite.

"That wasn't very nice Maya." Christian spoke finally once they got into the elevator.

"What did I do?"

"You don't go around calling people bald. You wouldn't like it if someone called you bald, would you?"

"But I'm not bald, he is."

"I know, but still. Watch what you say around people, words can hurt."

The elevator doors opened and Christian stepped out into the parking garage. Once he spotted his car he took Maya off his shoulders and started the search for his keys.

"Mr. Maurice?" She asked as he placed her into her car seat.

"Hmm?"

"Can words really hurt?"

"Not physically, but they can hurt emotionally." He replied as he slid into the drivers seat. He looked back at her through the rear view mirror. "Why?"

"So do people lie so that the words don't hurt other people?"

"Uhh, yeah, sometimes. There's different situations for everything, but lying is wrong though, you know that right?"

"I know but what if someone tells you to lie? A-and you have to do it?"

"Is someone asking you to lie, Maya?"

"No!" She answered quickly. "I just wanted to know." She said in a softer tone.

"Well if someone's asking you to lie then you probably shouldn't do it."

"Oh... but what if you love them lots?"

"Sometimes the people you love try to hurt you." He shrugged. "But sometimes they do it because they love you. It's all complicated."

"Oh."

"Are you excited for you class tonight?" He asked in an attempt to get rid of the very serious aura in the car.

She started bouncing in her seat.

"I'm really excited! I told all my friends about you!"

"You've been telling your little friends about me?"

She nodded vigorously.

"Yeah, you're the most coolest guy ever! In school we did pictures and I made you and me. I brought it for you today."

"You did? Why didn't you show me?"

"I did show you but you were yelling at someone."

"Why didn't you show me when I wasn't yelling?"

"Cause you were always yelling." She answered making him laugh.

"It's not funny. You are not very nice to those people Mr. Maurice." She pouted. "I don't like it when you're being a meanie."