Chapter Forty Six

THANK YOU FOR 160k READS! WE OUT HERE DOING THIS SHIT PERIOD!!
——

"Can we just talk...?"
.
.

Alex sat curled up on the couch next to Keith. Maya and Mia were asleep on the ground in their lopsided makeshift pillow fort. The two had been spending a lot of time together the past few weeks, forcing their parents to take out time from their already hectic schedules so they could see each other. Maya never really had anyone to call her friend accept Alex up until now so she wanted to seize the opportunity.

As Mia and Maya's friendship bloomed, Alex's and Keith's came up as well. Alex was having withdrawals from her and Christians relationship and Keith just so happened to be the shoulder she'd cry on every once in a while.

Keith started to scoot in closer and she scooted back wanting to keep the distance between them. It was no secret Keith liked Alex to some extent but she didn't reciprocate the feeling. At all. She wasn't ready emotionally to be involved with anyone. The only person she actually wanted to be involved with was Christian but that was a complex situation in and of itself already.

After he popped up at Maya's recital she contemplated calling him a few times. She even dialed the number and let the phone ring for a few seconds before abruptly hanging up a couple of times.  As much as she wanted to admit her faults, she just couldn't.

She felt like she was doing what was best for Maya even though sometimes her actions didn't line up with her actual thought process. Damon had left an indefinite mental scar on her.

"You alright?"

Alex glanced up to see Keith's gaze coming back down on her. She gave him a little nod before shifting her eyes back to the TV that was now playing Nick at Night.

"You sure?"

She rolled her eyes softly. He was starting to aggravate her now.

"I'm sure." She answered, hoping that would be the end of his prying.

"You haven't spoken this entire time, you're usually more lively. I'm not boring you, am I?"

Yes.

The little voice in her head replied.

Tell him to go.

"No, Keith. I'm just tired is all."

He nodded and sat back, letting himself sink further into her couch. She sat up and looked at him.

"It's late, maybe you should start heading out."

"Is this your way if kicking me out?"

Yes nigga, shoo.

"Your words, not mine." She replied as she stood up, "I'll help you get Mia's things."

She darted around the living room quickly picking up anything that belonged to either Keith or Mia, she wanted him out of her presence as soon as possible. He scooped Mia up off the ground and she handed him the backpack Mia had come with.

"You don't want any help cleaning up their mess?" He questioned. They were now at the front door and she was holding it wide open for him.

"Nope, got it all under control." She gave him a quick little smile and pushed to door open further hoping he'd catch the hint.