Chapter Ten

"I'm not doing this with you today, Damon

"I'm not doing this with you today, Damon." I push past him. Today was supposed to be worry-free. I had a long weekend off from work and Maya was staying with her aunt this weekend so I had 3 days of peace and quiet, and here comes this fool knocking on my door back on his bullshit.

"I don't give a fuck what the hell you wanna do, we talkin' bout this right the fuck now!" He yelled as he followed me into my bedroom. "You seein' another nigga?" He glared at me.

I rolled my eyes. He was talking about Christian. We've gone on a few 'dates' to get more acquainted with each other over the past few weeks and everything seemed to be moving smoothly, apart of Damon's random pop up's. If he wasn't out selling (and popping) pills he was sitting around in my apartment or waiting around for me to get back and I was sick of it.

"So what if I am? How would that be any of your business? You left Maya and I, that was your choice, remember?"

"I swear to God yo you're like a damn plunger! Always bringin' up old shit!" He yelled. "What happened, happened and I'm here now."

"Barely," I mumble under my breath. "Popping up a few times a week and staying for an hour or two doesn't count as being a present father. You'd rather be out there wasting your life than here with your own daughter. You're always somewhere fucking around meanwhile I'm here trying to make ends meet!"

"Alex, you know I'm doing this shit fa' us." He spoke softly, cupping my face. "I told you, once I get enough money I can get all three of us outta here baby. You know I love you and Maya."

I sighed. "You have a funny way of showing it."

"Ight, look." He pulled a yellow-colored envelope from his back pocket. "Here." He handed it over to me.

"What's this?" I question opening the seal.

"$3000." He answered, "That's your rent and a lil' extra to keep you and my babies head above water for a while... well until I can get shit figured out."

"I can't take this, and I'm not going to."

I hated taking straight cash from him because 9 times out of 10, it was dirty money. What did I look like making a huge deposit into the bank out of nowhere? Suspicious as hell! I didn't need his life style rubbing off on me and especially not Maya.

"Take it, Alex. This ain't up for argument right now. I don't need y'all starvin' out here."

"We're not starving." I scoffed. "We were doing just fine without your dirty money and we'll continue to do just fine without you and it."

"Stop bein' stubborn and take it. I know damn well that waitressing job ain't doin' shit for you." He chuckled. "Just take it, ight? You know I got y'all."

"Uh-huh. I'm only taking this because I was running low and I don't get paid soon."

"Yeah, Yeah, Alex. Whatever." He smirked as he followed me out of my room. "Don't think I forgot about that nigga you been sneaking around with. Dropping my baby off with your crazy ass friend and shit."

"As I said, that isn't your business and it never will be. Let me handle me, and you handle you."

He inhaled and exhaled deeply. "Why you treatin' me like this Alex? This shit ain't fair. I'm tryna do right by you and my daughter and you won't even look me in the fucking eye for more than two seconds!"

"Stop raising your voice, Jesus! I have neighbors that have a thing for filing noise complaints. Secondly, don't try to play the victim now. Don't forget you dumped me and your daughter on the side of the street half the time, Damon. Don't get mad because I've moved on."

He was silent. He avoided my glare and looked down at his feet.

"Exactly. Now get out of my apartment."

He sighed and started walking out. "I'll be gone this week. I got some business to handle up in Jersey."

"I don't care what you have to do. Like I said before, you do you and I do me."

______
Whew chile, the poor writing skills.