Chapter Fifty

We're on chapter fifty 🥳! I'm counting this as a milestone.
——

"A miscarriage? But she wasn't even pregnant!" Latoya said in disbelief. Joyce went looking for Alex when she hadn't come back after 20 minutes and found her in the bathroom a nervous wreck crying over what was in her underwear.

Currently it was her, Latoya, Jasmen, and Maya all crowded around the hospital bed Alex was reclining in.

"The tests came back to show that Ms. Crane was indeed pregnant ma'am, I don't know what to tell you." The doctor said looking back down at his clipboard. Latoya had been working his last nerve.

"The pregnancy wasn't far along, only about 2 weeks or so. It was not an actual person just yet, just a fetus."

"And that's supposed to make things better?!"

"Momma, stop please." Alex said weakly. She was completely drained of any emotion at this point. Latoya looked down at her daughter and frowned. Alex laid back in the bed with a straight face. Nobody could read how she felt at the moment.

"As far as the miscarriage goes you're fine, no damage or anything significant we need to be worried about. I would recommend getting rest though. Your body is exerting extreme levels of stress and you need to relax for your own good."

"I've been through a lot these past few hours. I can't exactly just put down everything and relax."

"I understand that fully Ms. Crane but if you want what's best for not only you but your family, you'll relax. Maybe drink some tea and try to get a good nights rest."

Alex only nodded in response. She wasn't about to go and drink no damn tea.

"Have a nice night." The doctor said nodding towards all of them before leaving the room.

"Grandma?" Maya said.

"Yes?" Both Joyce and Latoya replied. They both glanced up at each other and then back down at Maya.

"Which one?" They said again at the same time.

Maya shrugged. "Either."

"I got this one." Latoya said to Joyce. She nodded and walked over to speak to Jasmen who was sitting in one of the chairs.

"What did you want to say baby?" Latoya bent down until she was face to face with Maya.

"Is mommy going to die like daddy is?"

It was like time froze. Everyone stopped what they were doing and looked at Maya.

"Bring her up here so I can talk to her please." Alex said. Latoya wasted no time at all picked Maya up and setting her down on the hospital bed next to Alex.

"Can you all leave? Just for a second?"

They all nodded and filed out of the room leaving Maya and Alex alone.

"You holding up okay?" Alex asked as she started to stroke Maya's hair.

"I jus' don't want you and daddy to die." She mumbled back.

"I'm not dying baby, okay? Mommy just got a little sick, that's all. You don't have to worry about be dying for a long time." Alex said giving her reassuring smile.

"But what about daddy?"

"Well what's going on with daddy is that some not so nice men came and wanted to hurt us and he wanted to keep us safe. What's happening now is that he's resting." Alex explained. She didn't know how else to tell a child that their father got shot was fighting for his life.