Chapter 10

CHAPTER 10

When class ends I try to ask Xander why he cancelled plans and why he was weird about Jack and clear more things up but he is whisked away by some lower class men crowding him and literally screaming at him.

With everything always being so hectic in this town I've learned to shrug it off and continue on with my day. La dee da. I actually start to comprehend what I'm learning in my next few classes. Now that I have one thing off my chest I feel a lot better and am able to focus more on school and the curriculum.

I space out less at lunch but still barely engage in conversation. Bianca asks me to go to the restroom with her and we both get up and leave.

"Are you alright? You've been really... Different these last few days. Is something bothering you?" I push open the door to the bathroom and enter with her following.

"Me? Yeah, totally fine. Just really bad homesickness is kicking in and I'm pretty sure I'm coming down with something," to be honest; home is not on my mind at all, other than the occasional thought of James, and I like it that way. I was better off without home. Chicago was a really good experience to grow up with; the big city and the street smarts. I am for sure going to visit sometime soon.

There isn't much I want to visit but maybe if I take a new friend from Omaha there'll be some distance, that'd be nice. I don't want to take any annoying touristy friend, I'd want to take someone who's been there before wanting to go back.

"Hey have you ever been to Chicago?" I ask.

"NOO! But I TOTALLY wanna go sometime omg!" she blurts out making me realize Bianca is not the one to take.

I decide not to say anything else about going back and now that we've talked and fixed our hair and makeup we head back to the lunch room.

After I sit down in my seat. I see Jack Johnson. No sight of Gilinsky. Just Jack J. He's buying food. My eyes focus only on him, capturing my whole train of thought. Water drips down from my stomach down my skirt. Great.

I jump up out of my seat and cuss. I look over at the napkins and Jack Johnson is standing right in front of them.

Some kids at the table laugh, others give a sympathetic, "aw Cat" but luckily only a few saw.

I start to walk quickly over to the napkins wanting for anything to be dry again and not go to my next class looking like I wet myself. When I get to the thing I grab a handful of them.

"Hey you need help?" Jack Johnson asks.

I take a huge sigh, "no I'm good."

"You don't sound good," he says and starts walking behind me as I walk to my table.

"Sorry I guess?" I say as I turn and face him.

"No no no! I didn't mean it like that... Like I mean... Wow I'm really making some good first impressions on you," he says apologetically.

"No it's fine. I understand what you meant," the conversation comes to an awkward end. We both are just standing there.

"So let me make it up to you sometime. I'll treat you to like frozen yogurt sometime and we can get to know each other," to be honest he seems like a sweet gentleman. Whether he was playing some game with me or not I needed to figure out what is up with him and Jack Gilinsky.

"Sure, I'd like that," I casually smile and then head back to my table.

Nothing happened the rest of the day.

That is until the last period of the day came around.