Chapter 29

CHAPTER 29

“Good morning sleepy head,” my mom greets me crawling in bed next to me while handing me a cup of coffee, “I really should say afterno…”

“I get it,” I interrupt her, “I sleep a lot.” We both laugh and sip from the white mugs of warm coffee.

“I got to talk to your boyfriend and his friend last night…"

“Mom,” I grunt at her, “he’s not my boyfriend,” I roll my eyes at her and she sarcastically nods along.

“Riiiiighttttttt!” the sarcasm in her voice is unmistakable, “Soooo….?”

“Can I help you?” I laugh at how bad of an actress she is.

“Well, Jack and the smaller Jack were wondering if you still wanted to go to Michigan this weekend with them, and well I made sure there were going to be adults and…”

I take a deep sigh. Of course I want to go, but that means I would have to go to school next week. I don’t want to do that. Also, what if the fans all know about Jack and I by now. Or worse? What if the know about James and I?

“Yeah, I wanna go, but about school…”

“Yeah, we need to figure this out,” she is acting like a real mother. I don’t feel this distance between us that I’ve been feeling for the past year. She’s laughing and joking.

So I ask her, not hesitating and nervous for what my options could be, “What do you wanna do?"

“Well what do you want to do? You only have a bit more than a semester left of high school in your life. You can’t just drop out now.”

“And I don’t want to… I just…I don’t…”

“You don’t want to go back to Westside?”

“Yeah, I guess that’s what I’m trying to say. What should I do? You finally like your job and it pays well, we can’t pick up and move. I wouldn’t let you. I just…I don’t know. What’s our cheapest offer?”

“Honey, your happiness doesn’t have a price on it. I want you to be happy…” She takes a long pause. She stares out the window as I act like I’m not watching her. I’m awaiting her every move, trying to read her mind, “I am willing to see if you can spend a couple months with your grandmother and grandfather in South Carolina. If that interests you…”

I rush too fast into this decision. It has to be a fast decision anyway considering how soon I want to leave. There is so much I’m giving up.

“Yes!” I plea at her, “I mean, that sounds like…”

“Keep in mind you’ll have to help them out and do lots of chores for them. You can’t get away with all the freedom you have here and…”

“Mom, I have to try…don’t I?” the home phone starts to ring and my mom stiffens up. She begins to get off the bed and head for the hallway.

“I’ll call grandma and grandpa today,” I give her a smile and she leaves the room. What am I supposed to tell Xander and Addison? What am I supposed to tell Sammy and Johnson? What am I supposed to tell Jack Gilinsky?

I like him so much. It scares me how much I like him. All I want is to lie forever in his arms. I can’t leave him. I will lose my mind if I do.

I promise myself that I’ll tell Jack the day I find out where I’m going to go and what I’m going to do. Jack will be the first I tell. Treating him like I’ll stay with him forever or like he could be the one I spend the majority of my life with is unfair. I can’t lead him on in this way.

I watch Netflix on my macbook for a few hours and wait for Sammy and the Jacks to get out of school. My mom goes into work later that day and I have the house to myself.

After getting up from bed I wash my hair and quickly brush through my waves then head downstairs. I walk over to the piano and sit down delicately on the wooden bench. I run my fingertips over the casing of the keys. As I push back the cover my fingers immediately dance across the black and white keys. I hum along with the words in my head but not in my mouth. It is the song, the song I’ve been trying to right. The missing pieces to the melody and of the lyrics fill themselves in and before I know it I have almost a complete song. 

“Wow!” I hear a low males voice behind me. I smile instantly.