Chapter Sixteen

I did not give up until I went to the houses just near in the park. I could feel my feet throbbing in sore because of the whole hours of walking block by block. I'd press the doorbell of the four houses and same words came from their mouths. I just feel like I'm nearly there...

The memories are starting to emblem. The house after the 4th house is my only chance for this day if this house wasn't still their house I would probably start over again in the next phase of the village and press all the doorbells of every houses. It would be my chance. Please, Lord, give me this chance. I want to see her so badly. I would probably be a very grateful man in the world.

I took a deep and exhausting exhale before pressing the last doorbell of house in this phase. I pressed again and again until a young and seemed provincial girl walked out inside the house and asked me of who I am.

She is wearing an apron and she's holding a broom on her hand and asks.. "Sino po sila?"

I wiped my sweat in my forehead and says.. "I'm looking for Payton... Payton Levine. It's her picture." I extend my arms to make her see the picture in my hands.

I pointed her face, she just nodded like she knew her. "Ahh, si Ma'am Payton. Pasensya na Sir wala po sya dito ngayon. Nasa bakasyon." She answered. I almost shouted in relief as I heard what she said.

She saved my day from depression. I didn't expect that she will be scared at me because of my reaction. "Sino po ba kayo, Sir?" She asked with full of doubt on her voice.

I suddenly freeze the moment she asked me again about my name, "I'm I-Isaiah Adachi," I tried to stand straight as I introduced myself to her. She just nodded. "When she will back here?" I asked again.

She frowned like she didn't understood what I'd said. "Pwede bang mag-tagalog kayo, Sir? Hindi ko kasi kayo maintindihan masyado eh."

"I'm sorry, hmm, kailan ang balik nya dito? Kailan ang uwi nya?" I repeated my question for her..

"Hindi ko alam ang saktong araw, pero siguro isa sa mga araw na 'to uuwi na din sila." She answered. I could feel my inner excitement to see her on one of these days.

I can't help myself but to smile from ear to ear, "Okay! I'll go back here tomorrow. But would mind if I ask you for a glass of water?" I said.

She shows confusion again towards me, "Hmmm, pahingi sana ako ng tubig. Ang layo kasi ng nilakad ko mula kaninang 2 and I'm so thirsty right now."

"Sige, wait lang, Sir!" She excused herself.

She walked inside to their house and I wait for several minutes before she even went out again for me. She no longer held the broom instead a glass of water that she got to their kitchen.

I meet her halfway and I immediately handed the glass of water from her. I'm really thirsty without any joke. My lips are so dry, and because of its dryness I can feel the thin skin breaking apart from my lips itself.

I feel relief and fresh because of the water that saved my life from dehydration. The maid staring at me intently like she is tracing my whole physique.

"Alam nyo na ngang may hahanapin kayong tao, bakit hindi ka nag dala ng sarili mong tubig at bakit tanghaling tapat ka nag simulang maghanap? Pero alam nyo Sir, ka-mukha nyo si Nigel." She said, narrowing her eyes at me.

"Yeah, I thought this would be so easy that's why I haven't started so early. But by the way, thank you for the cold water. I'll see you tomorrow... hmm what's your name?" I tried to ask.

"I'm Mae-Mae, Sir. Sige balik na lang kayo bukas, malay mo umuwi na sila bukas." She introduced herself to me.

I smiled while nodding, and verbalize my goodbye to her. "I'll see you tomorrow, Mae-Mae."