Chapter Twenty-Three

ADACHI

I was so worried about her, about what happened to them, she's not talking with us since we've left from the garden of Kit's friend. Kit were so upset and so Payton, too. He walked towards us with teary eyes and he was wiping his tears as he continue to walk inside the mansion. That was so unexpected, though he told me what was his plan.

She was sitting next to me at the passenger's seat, she was as quiet as the night. Her eyes flickered by sadness and shone by so much tears. I'd wondered if what was she's thinking right now.

Indeed, I slowly put my hand on her left leg as she sighed deeply while she's still looking at nowhere. But she didn't give any attention that I wanted. She's busy by whatever she's thinking. I just suddenly pulled my hand like she'd burnt it without any action.

I heaved a deep sigh and focus my eyes on the road, we are half way through. In maybe a more minutes, we would get to their house finally. The car was filled by silence no one tries to speak, no one tries to move.

And after the several turns, I've finally stopped the car in front of their house. I looked at them and they are so tired of waiting so they'd fell asleep while we're on our way home. Mae at the backseat are sleeping with Richard beside her, and my son is in Payton's chest-sleeping as well as his mom.

I put some tendrils of her hair at the back of her ear, before I cupped her face trying to wake her up from her sweet sleep. In just a few seconds, she'd dragged her eyelids up-still half asleep. I'd carefully support the back of our baby boy before she'd even recognize where we finally now.

She look outside the car and then finally to me, I just strike a smile before I get outside the car and ran to the passenger's side. I opened the door for her and held her hand as a support. I saw her smile a little and thanked me for my act of chivalry. She remained there standing while I opened the back door. I tried to reach for Richard and catch with my arms. And eventually, Mae woke up, too. She get out of the car and started to open the small gate for us.

I was carrying Richard and Payton was in Nigel, we'd entered their house that filled with so much eerie atmosphere because of its silence.

Mae turned the lights on to all the corner of the house. I followed Payton as she is about to go upstairs-to their room, so she could lay my son there and as well as this big boy with me.

We've entered the same room, she turned the lamp shade on before she even lay our son on the huge bed with a little pillows around him. Then, she motioned me to put Richard beside Nigel. I make sure that he wouldn't drop on the floor and he wouldn't pin at the top of our little infant.

I lowered my head to kiss their forehead one by one, and I whispered to their ears my good night words. After that, I saw Payton staring at me with her blank expressionless face.

I sit properly at the edge of the bed, and start to interrogate her. "Are you okay?" I asked while she is standing at the corner of the bed side table and while still staring at me.

She remained silent, and solemn, not trying to retort for an answer. "Hey?" I called her attention.

"Mmmm?" She hummed as a cheap retort.

I extend my arms to catch her right hand for me, "Are you okay?" I asked again for the second time.

She shook her head slowly, "Not quite," she answered, well for me few words means not.

At the private part of my brain, I was wrong for asking her if she's okay, because of what happened earlier she'd obviously not. She look vulnerable now, and by her face it was perceiving that she is nearly... almost about to cry.