Reader x Nico || To The Underworld And Back

*Nico's POV*

Darkness is my birthright.

I have lived here in the underworld since I was eleven, and until now I ruled as the Ghost King and served my father, Hades. I am feared, respected and honored by ghosts. They followed my orders and nobody wanted to cross the line. None of them dared to talk anything against me and my orders, and even the skeletons did obey me. Or else, they would end up having consequences depending on how foolish and disobedient they were.

The bleak dark embraced my chalk, white skin. I embraced it myself, for it was the only thing linked to my father Hades, the god of the underworld and dead. Although I see him as my father, I most likely served him as King more than that.

He never called me son.

Though when my birthday came, he never gave me anything, or greeted me like he was happy. He only said, "It's your birthday today. Have a good time."

The sinking feeling made me sick, yet I had to keep it deep inside. If only. . . If only Bianca were still here.

I shut my eyes close and gripped my hair, kneeling down on the cold and damp ground. Before I knew it, I was already kneeling by the River Styx. I heaved a sigh, my cold breath soon escaping my mouth and I could hear the ambient sound of rushing currents of the waters.

"Get lost!" I hissed while throwing my right hand to the side. My dark eyes settled to a trembling white ghost sliding away into the darkness. I adjusted my aviator jacket, plopping down on the ground. "Tch. I don't want anyone in my way!"

For a while I could hear murmurs and startled voices of souls and I could see them behind me, even if I wasn't looking. I could sense them, which was far more irritating and I didn't want to hear their stupid mutters and whines. They just messed with my mind, even if I wanted to settle in peace.

"Son of Hades."

Spinning around after shifting to a standing position swiftly while drawing my sword, I only saw a random ghoul standing before me. I arched an eyebrow, "What finds you here? I guess you already saw what I did to that futile ghost a while ago, right?"

The ghoul let out a deep growl. But it didn't seem as if he wanted to challenge me to a duel, yet I sensed that he was annoyed. "Step those aside, godling. Lord Hades wants to see you."

I tilted my head, "See me? That's ridiculous."

His eyes narrowed. "Enough of that, boy. I'm serious and he ordered me to summon you there."

"No thanks. I can already handle myself," I shrugged and was about to dive into the shadows when I heard him growl.

"Farewell, and goodluck."

"Don't need luck." I mumbled before slipping into the darkness.

*Third Person's POV*

"Ugh, why can't I get this?" You stammered, slamming the thick book of magic down the table. The small ball of fire settled in your hand had vanished out of thin air and all you could see was complete darkness. You have been studying magic all your life, and this kind of magic you've practiced hard for days isn't getting any better.

Heaving a sigh, you lighted a lamp and slipped into the narrow, dark hallways. The palace in the underworld was, however, comfortable unlike the outer fields of the underworld where hideous monsters and souls were waiting to catch their prey. You were amused that you could sense the ghosts and sometimes you could summon them to your aid in the dark, since you also practiced necromancy for years.

You were about to head towards the chambers of Persephone, Hades' wife. She was like a mother to you, and oh, she was the one who took care of you as you grew up in the underworld.