Never a Dull Moment

Dear Diary:                                                                          May 31, 2013

          After that awful experience at the Ski Party with Ashley, I called Betsy into my office as soon as I arrived to work that morning. When she stepped in, I closed the door. I told her everything that had occurred, including the run-in with Ashley at the supermarket when Esme and I were shopping.

        Betsy's eyes grew wider and wider as I spoke; I was sure they were going to pop out of her head. I knew that Betsy believed me and we decided that, in order to not start any weird rumors or have a scandal on our hands, she would rotate Charlotte with Ashley and have me work closely with the former, as opposed to the latter. She, herself, was going to keep an eye on Ashley. When I asked her where Ashley was that morning, Betsy said she came in on time humming to herself and had gotten straight to work. Last she saw, Ashley was headed to the ER. I knew I wouldn't be working there today so I thought I was in the clear. Unfortunately, we had a bit of a snafu at home and I still ended up in the ER.

         Here's what happened: While Jacob, Seth, and Leah were running patrol, Nessie decided to sneak into the garage and take one of the old motorcycles that Jacob was working on restoring. She decided that it would be a good idea to take the thing out for a run. Mind you, she has never been on one before. So to make a long story short; she got on it, turned it on, drove it out of the garage, quickly lost control, and was sent flying into the air, landing badly on her left leg, breaking it. The wolves heard her scream from about a mile away and raced back home. They all phased back and Jacob flew to her side, followed by the other two. Leah quickly ran for a car. When it arrived, Jacob loaded her into it with Seth in the passenger seat.

          While Leah was driving to the hospital, Seth called Edward and Bella, who in turn called Rose, Emmett, and Esme. All of them converged in the emergency room. As I was walking through one of the wings, I heard my name being paged over the loudspeaker to come to the ER immediately. I didn't hesitate and jogged toward the elevator wondering what it could be. When the double doors opened and I entered the ER, it didn't take me long to figure out where I had to go, as most of my family were in Area 5 surrounding Nessie on the bed. She was crying as Bella held her.

"What happened?" I asked, surprised.

"She broke her leg when she fell off a motorcycle," Jacob explained as Nessie continued to sob on Bella's shoulder.

"What the hell was she doing on a motorcycle?" I looked around as everyone else looked at Nessie, who gulped down another sob before she finally spoke.

"I . . . I . . . th—thought I . . . c-could just ride it around the back-k-y-yard. I-I didn't realize it was going to go so fast. I didn't press anything. Then all of a sudden it just started going fast on its own and I lost control and fell." Her eyes didn't meet mine. I could tell she was embarrassed.

"And where were you guys during this whole episode?" I asked the wolves.

"Patrolling. We heard her scream from a mile away and raced back," Seth answered. Jacob shuttered at the memory.

"Well, let me have a look. Can you guys give me some room please?"

        They all moved aside except Bella, who was still holding Nessie's hand. I started by making sure she was breathing properly and that the fall didn't give her a head injury. When all of that was done, I moved down to the obvious location of the break. As I touched it, Nessie let out a cry of pain. Just then I heard someone clear their throat behind me. When I turned to look it was Charlotte, who was smiling and holding a medium sized purple teddy bear that lit up and moved its arms and legs.