Final Last Words

Dear Diary: May 7, 2014

We've been back home for a while now since coming back from the other side. That was an interesting adventure to say the least. We still had the wigs from when Rogue tortured the Volturi. But we all commended her on standing up to Michael finally as Alexander recounted in the last entry. A week after we returned so did John and Maria as well as Michelle and Kim from their honeymoon. The latter two looked happy, rested, and tanned. We told them what happened and how we felt about the other side while they told us about their travels and what they saw and did. It seemed the honeymoon had gone off without a hitch and in fact both women said they had even looked for homes to buy there. Michelle had clearly fallen in love with Thailand just as much as Kim had so now they had plans to return to find another home. Perhaps we'd also go there one day to see if we like the place; granted it's always sunny but a private unseen vacation home wouldn't hurt somewhere we don't have one.

The big elephant in the room that we hadn't discussed or even breached the topic of, was regarding John and Maria. We knew full well that the sand in the hour glass of their existence was running out. We learned that they had chosen a date and the other Watchers that were joining them in the afterlife had all agreed on that date. They were to be buried in an ancient cemetery in Tuscany which wasn't used anymore. Many Watchers from around the world were gathering for the actual funeral as this is something that was a beyond rare occasion. Amy told us that in all of their years as Watchers they've only had this happen once and at that time it was just one couple not 4 of them.

The day before it was to happen, we were all gathered at our house trying to process that the day after tomorrow John and Maria would no longer be with us. And not just in the same location, but not alive. That was just so beyond comprehension that most of us could do nothing more than sit there and blink rapidly. The couple though, were fully at peace; so much so, they were all but glowing. This is what they really wanted. They were finished and ready to leave this mortal coil. Michelle sat between her parents holding their hands. For a very long time, nobody said a word. And what was there to say? Good luck? No, of course not.

Rogue wasn't there and neither were Amy or Corin. Seth was fidgeting as he was very uncomfortable without his imprint. Alexander explained that the three of them were back at his house, meditating in order to get ready for the actual ritual and ceremony. We spent that last full day and night all together just talking and asking any remaining questions and watched the sun rise. It was spring break at Dartmouth and both Michelle and Nessie stayed home while their respective parents called the high school and said that they wouldn't be in for a while as they had a family emergency. The school said they completely understood and said they could make up their assignments upon returning. Michelle had already taken an extra week off for her honeymoon but that was done some supernatural way I couldn't figure out. Obviously no one knew that Michelle was married or even engaged at school. She, just like Nessie were finishing out their sophomore years.

After everything was performed, a few of the Watchers that were attending the actual funeral were coming here to fly us non-Watchers to Tuscany as there were going to be less Watchers here now to do the delivering. It was all very complicated. Felt like one giant ATC tower. As the sun rose over the trees we all sat outside and enjoyed that fresh early morning smell. Today was the day and tonight was the final night when John and Maria would go to sleep and never again wake up. As everyone had breakfast outside on the back porch, Rogue, Amy, and Corin approached the house. Their eyes were full of ancient wisdom. They were wearing their traditional fairy dresses with Rogue wearing her headpiece. The look on their faces was as if while meditating they were transferred to some mystical and ancient location. This ritual was one seldom done and seldom allowed so what we were about to witness was something few even know existed; extracting immortality from an immortal so they could die peacefully in their sleep after 500+ years of living. Wow.