My Wife, The Poet

Dear Diary: August 24, 2013

Remember when we were on Rogue's Isle and I mentioned to you that Rogue got Esme into writing poetry? And that I saw her writing a poem on the beach? Well she finally showed me the poem she wrote. Actually she wrote it for Rogue but she shared it with all of us. A few days after Nessie's party; it was pouring rain and everyone—Watchers included—were just relaxing in our living room. Esme asked everyone if they wanted to hear the poem she wrote for Rogue. Rogue actually blushed! When we all nodded eagerly, she ran upstairs and got the little booklet she used to put the poem in and add pictures to make it pretty.

When everyone was seated, Esme stood in the center of all of us and opening the booklet to the very first page began to read:

Rogue Waves

Unique

One of a kind

Never the same size

But always quite tall

They come out of nowhere

Obscure the horizon

Anywhere from a few inches

To 100ft in height

Unpredictable

Destructive

Yet oddly fascinating

Another unexpected

Wonder

Or curse

Of Mother Nature

Kids playing

In the surf

Do not notice

When one wave

Is bigger then

The rest

But when

It strikes them

The force

Undeniable

It'd knock superman

Off his feet

Rogue waves

Are warriors

They don't

Conform to normal rules

Ships disappear

Without a trace

But being

Rogue

Isn't always a bad thing

Its power

Strength

Ability to make

Swift decisions

Control the masses

Protect its surroundings

Total invincibility

Never turn your back

For whether you fear them

Or are mystified by them

They will be present

Forever more

Guardians of the sea

When she finished reading it, we were all in awe. My wife, the poet. Rogue had tears in her eyes as she got up and hugged Esme, who gave her the booklet as Rogue thanked her. That was truly beautiful and powerful, just like our Watcher leader. It fit her to a T. Esme said that she will write more and perhaps maybe even do a tandem poem with Rogue. That's pretty hard from what I hear but those two can definitely pull it off.

I wasn't going to write today if it wasn't for this as we are all getting ready for Bella's birthday. One right after another when it comes to birthdays and weddings around here. At least wedding season has come to a temporary close. Leah won't be ready till next year and Seth is too young to propose. He and Corin feel that they may get engaged next year at some point. Emily and Sam's wedding is going to be in November.

Esme also told me that after reading a bunch of books on poetry she had decided that Robert Frost was her favorite poet and his poem "The Road Not Taken" is her favorite poem of all time. So I will finish this entry with a snippet of that poem. Next time I write it'll be about Bella's Birthday. Have a wonderful weekend everyone!

"Two roads diverged in the wood and I—I took the one less traveled by, and that made all of the difference." ~Robert Frost

~Carlisle Cullen