Leah's Pregnant

Dear Diary: September 8, 2014

It has been ages since I have last written in here and that's because we've been busy dealing with a truly miraculous event; Leah's pregnancy. No one knew that it was even possible for Leah to get pregnant. According to her, the doctor told her early on that it would be highly unlikely and she had accepted her fate. So to find out that she was indeed carrying a child was shocking. So much so that, Jacob upon hearing it when Leah first blurted it out to us post last battle said to Keith:

"Super sperm?"

The response was that he was smacked with pillows from all sides and given sarcastic looks as he just shrugged and pointed toward Leah like 'seriously though...look!' Everyone just shook their heads. I immediately took Leah to my home office's examination room to make sure the baby was alright. This was a totally different ballgame then what Bella and Edward had with Nessie.

For starters, neither was a vampire. Leah was human but a shape shifting immortal and Keith was a Watcher. I had no idea what kind of a child they would even have. The ultrasound amazingly went well and we were able to see that the baby was growing more rapidly than a human baby but not as fast as Nessie. I was excited for this new development as I was always hungry for information on our world. At the same time though, I had no idea what to expect. Thankfully and somehow not surprisingly, one person did know but she was still 'down the rabbit hole' as Alexander said it in the Underworld.

We waited for another 5 hours before Rogue came back triumphantly. She had slayed Bacchus and returned the staff to a special place on the 'other side'; she didn't go into specifics. However, upon finding out Leah's good news, she squealed:

"Finally some good news! Tired of all these demons and crap!"

"Rogue, you know something about Watcher/human pregnancy right?" Alexander asked his wife, smiling at her pleasure.

"Yes I do though not much. I've only seen it happen once as Watchers usually end up with other Watchers or vampires so not too many people get pregnant. And it can only happen when the Watcher is male as the female Watchers reproductive organs stop working." She explained thoughtfully.

"See I told you; super sperm!" Jacob exclaimed again.

"Oh would you shoosh already?" Nessie swatted him on the arm wanting to listen to Rogue.

"Thank you Jacob for the visual. Continuing, obviously I haven't seen it with Watchers and shape shifters but the equation is more or less the same. The most important thing that Leah cannot do is phase. If she does, the change in her body may kick start labor. So she has to remain human throughout the pregnancy." Rogue said.

"So how long will I be pregnant?" Leah asked holding on to Keith's hand.

"It won't be 9 months like a human is nor will it be a month like Bella. I would probably estimate about 3 months or 4. You've already been pregnant for a month or 2 I would say. So you're half way there. And you're not really showing because of the fact that your body is in shape. You will be able to determine the sex of the baby soon too." Rogue said with a smile.

"Anything else we have to know?" Keith asked.

"Hmmm let me think. Well a natural birth would be best but obviously not in a hospital. We can handle that here in the house. The baby will grow slightly slower than Nessie did and should be fully mature by the time it hits 9 years of age instead of Nessie's 7. I'm not sure how the shape shifting thing will work out but I guess we'll cross that bridge when we reach it."

We had a lot to take in. This family was getting ready for another supernatural birth. When I examined Leah, I noticed that all of her ovary issues seemed to have healed which meant she would be able to have other children after this one should all go well. The important thing now was to keep Leah from phasing so she was being kept away from us vampires as a whole. After the destruction of Bacchus, Barachus, and the Sloulah demons, it got really quiet here, which is something we enjoy. No new scents, no invasions, no weird occurrences.

The Hydra was able to put the volcano that expelled Carrie back into extinction, the earthquakes stopped, and the O'Leary building lay in ruins; it took firefighters 8 hours to put out the flames once it collapsed. Thankfully none of its human employees were hurt and all escaped with minor scratches. Esme felt a little bad about not being able to publish her book but she decided to send it off to a publishing house in Manhattan and see if anyone picked it up. That was literally the least of our worries. We had a baby to prepare for. Alice was going absolutely batty. She wanted to know the sex of the baby so she could go pick out clothing for it. Leah and Bella were trying to rein her in because Leah wanted to incorporate a lot of her heritage into the baby's clothing.

When Leah called her mom and told her the news, Sue burst into tears. She would get to be a grandmother after all and Seth an uncle. Seems miracles do happen and after a lifetime of hardships and being given the short end of the stick, she finally got hers. She was glowing whenever we saw her. Her food cravings were a little wacky; not your stereotypical pickles and ice cream but more like corn on the cob, pizza, and fruit punch plus tons of Cheetos. Needless to say, we went to Costco in a nearby town and stocked up on enough fruit punch and Cheetos to feed the western hemisphere!

In other news, Jacob, Nessie, Michelle, and Seth took special aptitude tests that determined that they were better off starting college early. Leah decided on homeschooling as the official story but in reality was putting off college until after the baby was born and a bit older. Michelle was also not going back to college but just going to live with Kim like Alice and Jasper were doing. Which meant Jacob, Nessie, and Seth started Dartmouth this September while Bella, Edward, Rose, and Emmett were in their last year.

So we have half the family at home or thereabouts and half in Dartmouth instead of Hanover High School. Nessie is getting her wish of going to Dartmouth and her first progress report already put her at the top of her class. Pretty impressive for a 16 year old/7 year old huh? Edward promised Nessie that if she got a 4.0 her first semester, he'd buy her any car she wanted. She was getting her driver's license in October as was Seth. They've been studying for the test together.

That is the news in our family. The hospital has been as busy as ever. But we are pretty comfortable and happy to finally having some peace and quiet. As I was writing this, I heard Keith call my name from the examination room. I went inside and smiled. Leah was on the table all ready to find out the sex of her baby. I sat down and put the gel on her now extended belly; I guide the wand over it. I smile as I look at the ultrasound and see exactly what we've been waiting for.

"So what's the verdict Carlisle?"

"Congratulations Keith and Leah....you're having....."

To be continued....

~Carlisle Cullen