Carnival

Dear Diary: May 28, 2014

It's been a while since I've written in here. Just had a lot of shifts at the hospital so really didn't have any time to sit down for some peace and quiet and write; do apologize for that. Last I wrote in here, Kim and Michelle were still in Italy taking the time to grieve over Michelle's parents who chose to end their immortal existence. Since I last wrote, everyone is home now. School has resumed for all and it's been relatively quiet on the home front. We did have the annual carnival here in Hanover on Memorial Day. That's something that everyone in town looks forward too. It's not just rides and games; there are booths with people selling different chochkies and trinkets.

The hospital being one of the sponsors had its perks in the fact that my family had unlimited access to all the rides and games at the carnival that lasted for 5 days. Everyone took full advantage of that. The best part was that Alice foresaw it being incredibly gloomy those days so we could all partake in the fun and not worry about the, as Leah calls it our "disco ball affect". This year Esme had decided on something new and very exciting to her; she put up a booth herself. She wanted to sell her knitting and crocheting things. It was a resounding success. She was very excited about the whole thing and Rose was there to help her when she wasn't off on some of the rides with Emmett and the others. Even our Watchers were having a blast.

Rogue looked in on Esme every so often and always left with a smile because there were always large groups of women of all ages circling the booth looking at all the wonderful things Esme had made and wanting to buy and even learn from her. Last I saw her before Nessie and Jacob literally dragged me to some rocket looking ride, she was giving a mini lesson on how to crochet a simple scarf.

"Come on grandpa! Come on this ride with us!" Nessie was saying as I looked helplessly at Esme who just shooed me away. She was not coming to my rescue.

"Oh Nessie....I'm too old for this." I mumbled as I got the hairy eyeball look from my granddaughter and Jacob.

"Too old my ass!" Jacob said as he all but pushed me from the back.

"Alright, alright I'll go." I sighed as they high fived each other.

"That's the spirit!" I heard someone behind me say; I turned to see Alexander who winked at me as I groaned. Bah humbug.

"Wrong holiday Ebenezer. Come on Carlisle, you need to loosen up a bit. You've been working almost nonstop at the hospital....you've lost your sense of fun." He said after reading my mind.

"I'm fun....I'm just one giant ball of fun." I protested in my defense to more eye-rolling.

"Yeah about as fun as a stethoscope." Rogue's voice said sarcastically behind me as she and the others surrounded me. I had no way out. Oh well, one rocket ride coming right up. ~Sigh~

I followed the others as we all got on line. I just looked around with an air of satisfaction. I really should let loose a bit; they were right. I've been working like a heathen. Just then, someone's phone rang on line and the song was "I'm Bringing Sexy Back". Jacob took one look at me and started cracking up as the others read his mind and laughed too. I just shook my head and pretended to not pay any attention. I know he was remembering the date I took Esme on at some point last year where I was running around like a chicken with its head cut off.

Finally we got on the ride and I admit it was fun. I liked the wind in my hair. After that was over, we went over to the cotton candy machine and got some of that. I brought Esme one giant pink ball of cotton candy and she gave me a kiss for it and went right back to her crocheting booth. She only took maybe a 15 minute break that first day. The second day we all went back and it was more of the same. I rode on some more rides and I had to admit it was more fun doing it with my family as opposed to going by my lonesome.

It wasn't until day 3 that I noticed a man hanging around Esme's booth. I had seen him the day before but I wasn't sure what he wanted. I did see repeat costumers but those were mostly women. This man didn't want to buy anything at all or at least it didn't seem like he wanted to. As I approached, I saw him give my wife his business card and walk away. I got there just as she turned toward me.

"What was that all about sweetheart? Who was that guy?" I asked looking concerned.

"Oh him? He's harmless honey don't worry." She saw the look in my eyes and was quick to soothe me.

"Well it's the second time I've seen him by this booth and he hasn't exactly bought anything. Was there something he wanted?"

"Well yes actually. He told me that he liked my work very much and that he worked for a publishing company. He offered me his business card on the off chance that I would want to publish a book on crocheting or knitting or even on my recipes. His wife was in here the first day and she apparently told him that she was very impressed with my work and so he came to see for himself I suppose." Esme was looking delighted.

"Well that's wonderful sweetheart. Who wouldn't be impressed with your work? You're fantastic." I said holding my wife close.

"That's so random. I mean, me publishing a book? Who would have thought?" She said clearly surprised.

"Well don't act like it's a farfetched idea, you're knitting and crocheting is amazing enough to attract attention of a publisher. Don't sell yourself short my love. You can do anything you set your mind to. I can see it now; 'How to Crochet the Easy Way' by Esme Cullen." I said stretching my arms out to show the vision of the title. She smiled as her eyes twinkled and I kissed her.

"Lots of smooching going on I see."

Alice's voice came up behind us as Esme and I parted with a smile to look at her and Jasper along with Rose and Emmett. Everyone was smiling and happy for us. Esme then hurriedly went into the explanation of the publishing house that was interested in her work much to the delight of our family. Sounded like something Esme really had to think hard about. Publishing a book wasn't easy and if she did decide to do it, she would have to pick and choose what she wanted to actually do. She had just finished speaking as another customer walked in and she began her explanation on a particular scarf that had a very beautiful lilac pattern she had made.

Then out of nowhere, a strange loud rumbling noise filled the air. All of our eyebrows came together as the woman customer who had come in rolled her eyes and said:

"Can they not come one year? So loud!"

"Who or what is that?" I asked.

"Motorcycles. There's a biker club a few towns over and every year when we have this carnival, they come roaring through town on their Harleys making all sorts of racket."

"Why are they here?" Esme asked.

"They bring their families or whatever to the fair. Why they can't just drive in cars up here is beyond me. They always have to show off their bikes like it's some sort of ticker tape parade. Quite annoying if you ask me." The woman huffed.

"Who are they? I mean do they have a name?" Emmett asked curiously.

"Oh do they ever." Rogue said walking up to us....her eyes narrowing with an all knowing look like this was so not new to her.

"It's the Hells Angels."

To be continued....

~Carlisle Cullen