Friends

"It's such a nice day" she smiled leaning back casually into the grass.
"Hmm Yes it's nice, I can't lie I'm suprised you suggested it" he smiled at her watching her expression.
"A little unorthodox maybe, but nobody is going to notice" she sighed. She had purposefully choose the shade under the trees at the back of the field, she didn't want everyone spotting them but they were far enough back that most wouldn't notice them.
"So you seem more relaxed now, want to tell me what's going on with you" she spoke softly.
His gaze finally meeting hers fully, "oh I see lure me out here and corner me" he chucked trying to lighten the mood.
"Come on I'm worried about you, out drinking,staying late after school, sitting in during break you can talk to me, I want you to talk to me".
"It's not that big of deal" he tried to shrug off.
"Not fooling me spill" she smiled seeing his expression flatten.
"My mum she's pregnant" he grimaced.
"Is that not good news" she smiled.
"She won't leave him now, my step dad. He's bad news and I thought she would leave him, but she won't now. He's fine with her but he hates me" he sighed.

"I'm sure he doesn't hate you when families mix together it can be difficult to adjust" she reasoned softly.
She moved to place her hand upon his arm for comfort, watching him flinch a little.
"Jacob?" She paused watching him as the tears swelled in his eyes again as he fought to keep them under control.
"It's nothing, not what you think?" he began as she turned to face him fully.
"It's not nothing is he hurting you?" She watched as the tears fell down his cheeks.
"I'm fine it was an accident he just gets so angry and I'm my haste to get out I hit my arm on the door.He's never actually hurt me he just makes me not want to be there. Makes me feel unwelcome like they've got their new family and I'm not welcome, I feel so pathetic" he wiped his eyes trying to regain his composure.
Her hand moved to his shoulder, "Your not pathetic Jacob, what he is doing is unfair " she spoke watching as she moved to face him.
"I just like being at school anywhere that's not home" she nodded unsure what to say. "Well your always welcome in my classroom, things might get easier things can be stressful when a baby comes".

"I know i don't know why it's getting to me so much, but when I'm with you I just feel better about everything" he moved his hand over hers. Watching her expression "Jacob I'm your teacher" she moved back breaking the contact the worry etched upon her face.
"I know but we can be friends" he smiled.
"I think rightly or wrongly we already are, I don't sit on the field or chat to my other students in a bar" she smirked seeing the grin firmly upon his face, "but I'm your teacher and I have to be the adult, responsible" he nodded.

"So you going to tell me about this whole surgery to teaching" he grinned cheekily, "now we're friends".
She paused moving to lie back in the grass, "it's a long story" .
"I've got time" he offered laying back next to her.
"It's a painful story" she offered hoping he would leave it there.
"You don't have to tell me, I'm just intrigued by the enigmatic Connie Beauchamp".
"Hmm" she paused, "let's just say it involved a broken relationship and my heartbreak" she concluded.
"He's an arse I mean to upset you to not be with you Now is he mad, does he know what he had" he smiled genuinely as she smiled back at him.

They lay chatting for an hour before the field began to fill with students, "we should get back can't be seen hanging out with a student in the field like this, the gossip mill will start".
He nodded reluctantly getting up and helping her to her feet, as they walked back. "Where you going for lunch? You going to find your friends? She asked heading to the canteen.
"Maybe I dunno" he finished "I might just go sit in the library I have my coursework for you to do" he answered.
"Well feel free to come and keep me company I have marking to Do now seeing as I have basically had my lunch hour ".
"Would that be okay I don't want to be all needy" he asked a little shyly.
"For today I'm sure it will be fine" she offered happily. As she moved into the canteen and collected her food she let him follow at a distance chatting to some staff, before departing back up the stairs.
She knew this was not the best idea she knew he liked her, and she knew he was struggling and that in its combination could lead him to rely in her too much, but she enjoyed his company and she did care about him. It was tricky she knew she wasn't breaking any rules but it didn't make her feel any less guilty about the friendship they seemed to be developing.

He sat at the back of the classroom, and true to his word put his headphones in and began typing up his assignment.
He barely lifted his head as they both got on in silence, and she couldn't help thinking there was no harming in reaching out a hand of friendship if she kept it professional. She couldn't deny she had always liked him and she preferred this side to the cheeky arrogant side he usually portrayed with his friends. But she hated the thought of him feeling so alone, that he didn't even want to be around his friends. He needed someone and somehow it had become her.