Out in the cold

She smiled as for the fifth time this week since they had spoken on the field he appeared at lunch, "do you mind I won't bother you. Just want some quiet" he spoke softly from the door.
She nodded as he took his usual seat and dug out his books, "you know you should be having fun" she smiled sadly as he looked up.
"Hmm I'm not in the mood and Sarah won't leave me alone" he grumbled.
"Sarah?" She asked unsure.
"My girlfriend" he finished not looking at her.
"Oh I didn't realize you had a girlfriend. Well maybe if you opened up to her she'd support you" she offered ignoring the sudden flutter of what she could only describe as jealousy.
"Nah she's not like that, I don't even like her. But it's the done thing I'm the popular boy so go out with the popular girl, which is fine when everyone's hanging out having fun, but none of my friends want me like this. They just tease me they have no clue what I'm going through so it's easier to keep my distance for a while. I'm sure I'll get my head out my backside sooner or later, can't mope forever" he sighed turning the page of his text book.

She softly rose from her chair, "you Okay, I mean I know your not but you seem more down than before".
"They've chucked me out if my room, put me in the box room, so they can make mine a nursery. Said I'd be moving out soon, well that's news to me I have no where to go".
"You going to university maybe get some space, "if I get in and still I don't know how I'll cope money wise. And that's not for another year. It's like they can't wait to get rid of me, if I had somewhere to go I'd leave believe me" he sighed rubbing his face in his hands.

"It's the weekend, maybe you could spend some time with your mum, explain how you feel" she suggested sitting upon his desk.
"No she takes his sides, even she makes it clear she'd prefer if I wasn't there. I'm a reminder of sour times and now all she wants is a fresh start. A new man a new baby and I'm just in the way, I'll probably end up sitting in the park the whole weekend. I did last weekend, I mean I hang out with friends for a bit but when they are all partying and your not in the mood it's not fun" he spoke downheartidly.

"Which park Do you like I always go to one by the bottom of town, my dads bench is there. I go there to think sometimes" she smiled gently.
"Yeah I like the pavilion bit it stays warm in the evening".
Her heart broke for him, "could speak to your mum, explain how unhappy you are"she asked seeing the panic cross his face. "No please don't she won't change anything and will get mad that I'm telling everyone her business".
"Okay but this really isn't fair on you" she let her hand smooth over his briefly. "Have you got lunch?" She asked and he nodded. She sat beside him as she ate and they chatted, she helped him with the coursework until the bell rang.
"You will be okay this weekend" she asked the worry deep in her stomach.
"I'll be fine Miss, thank you"

Saturday afternoon came and the rain thundered down heavily on her windows, she turned the heating up her mind suddenly thinking of Jacob. She hoped he would be at home warm and dry at least, surely it couldn't be as bad as he made out, not to stay out in this.
An hour passed as she couldn't shift the feeling that niggled away inside her, she sighed loudly before grabbing her keys and heading out.
She drove the short distance and parked her car pulling her hood tightly to her face. She felt the rain hard upon her back as the water soaked though her trousers and slipped in around her hood onto her chest.

She walked quickly her head down reaching the pavilion Jacob had mentioned she took a glance around relieved to see it empty. She almost laughed at herself of course he wasn't here, not in this he would be at home, she turned quickly heading back the way she came.  She made it a few steps before she heard his voice, "Miss" he called as she spun around.
"Jacob" she replied moving under the shuttled roof towards him.
"What are you doing here miss" he asked suprised.
"Looking for you" she confessed, "I couldn't bare the thought of you out in this".
"I got rained in couldn't walk home in this". Her gaze moving to the bag and sleeping bag on the floor in the corner, "Jacob is that yours" she asked moving towards it.
"Oh it's, i was going to Josh's later for a sleepover" he lied unconvincingly.
"Come on" she spoke picking the bits up, "where, not home" he spoke forcefully moving backwards.
"No but I can't leave you here, come to mine. I'm not having you sleeping out here" she spoke sadly taking his hand and pulling him down the path to the car.

As they climbed in she looked down at herself utterly drenched, "dear god the whole of Holby is going to flood at this rate" she laughed looking at her mascara running down her face, "I look like a bedraggled panda" she chucked wiping her eyes.
He laughed, "no you don't" he smiled moving to put on his belt.
"You sure about this, me coming to yours I'll be fine you know".
"Your not fine and I'm sure, so button it you".