Never forget

He groaned in pain as he tried to move, seeing the clock he had been surprised how long they had slept. But the painkillers had definitely worn off, as he tried to move from the bed to the bathroom the pain made his head spin. He made it resting against the sink trying to compose himself, the room span as blackness began to take over.
"Connie Connie" he called as he crumpled into a heap on the bathroom floor.
She heard the sound of him hitting the floor, she noticed his absence beside her darting to thei bathroom. She struggled to help him up, as he moved to sit on the toilet seat.
"What happened?" Her voice full of worry as she knelt before him.
"I just felt weak, I haven't had my painkillers and I didn't last night before bed"she nodded as she moved to sit next to him on the bath.
"Oh shit Jacob your fall has burst the stitches, were going to have to take you in" she exclaimed seeing the red stickiness seep through his shirt.
"You can't what if mums there, or I can't get back here with you without being seen, I can't risk it" the fear and anxiety becoming more pronounced as he spoke, as he tried to stay upright.
Her hand gently cupped his chin,,"it's okay, I have someone i can call, let's get you back into bed" she smiled trying to reassure him.

"Hi, i didn't think you'd come" she smiled ushering him over the doorstep.
"Well i haven't seen you for years and then you turn up at the hospital and I realized how much I missed you. Now not one to admit you missed me, I knew this would be a good way to see you. Even if I am unsure what I'm doing here" he bumbled cheerily.

"Yes i know I'm sorry Elliot, it's just... it's hard to explain. I hate to ask but did you bring the bits I asked for?".
He nodded handing her her the bag, "thank you, I suppose i better explain" she sighed moving into the kitchen and switching in the kettle.

"Arh So still the Connie I knew, getting herself into mischief with the opposite sex" he chuckled.
She rubbed her hands over her face, "it would seem so. I never planned it, it just kind of happened and now with his situation it's even more complicated" she reasoned.
"Hmmm Yes a dilemma" he agreed calmly. "And So you need this for" he pointed to the bag, "he's Burst his stitches and he refused to go back in".
"So your going to do it" his voice sounding more serious.
"What did you think I would need that stuff for, of course I am. I know what I'm doing" she quipped.
"Your not a doctor anymore" he argued.
"Not practicing but I am, I'm more than capable. Nobody need know it's not open heart surgery it's a few stitches".

He found he couldn't think of anything to say and just sat silently watching her, he knew she usually got her own way regardless.
"You look well" he smiled moving safer ground.
"I'm doing okay, i miss the hospital though. Teaching is fine but it's not what I was born to do" she sighed sadly.
"So why not come back, i don't know why you left but it was years ago now" he smiled at her hopefully.
"I doubt I'd be able to cut it now, so out of practice I left it too long" she paused if only she had have been braver not let him scare her away, but she had learnt to bury that regret rather than dwell on it.
"I'm sure you'd pick it up easily, you were one of the best cardio surgeons in Europe, you don't just loose that. Plus I bet you miss the money" he laugh trying to lighten the mood.
"Hmm" she smiled, "Not the long days though".
"Nothing in life is for free Connie, you should know this by now" he smirked seeing her grin twitch and appear firmly in her face.
"See you've missed me" he chuckled.
"Prehaps" she smirked tuning back to the boiling kettle.
"You want to come up And See Jacob?" She offered as he nodded agreeably and followed her up the stairs.
"Jacob, this is Elliot" she smiled offering him the hot mug.
"Nice to meet you, i think I saw you around the hospital. Guess you used to work with Connie, when she was some Uber surgeon" he grinned.
"I did, I was just saying she shouldn't have left, nobody has ever been able to fill her shoes" he offered kindly sitting in the chair across from the bed.
"Right so Jacob you sure, you still want me to do this, we can go to hospital.
"No just do it" he nodded moving to sit up.
"I could do it" Elliot offered.
"Thank you, But I've asked you to cross a line already today, I'll do it, it's only a few stitches" she smiled at him greatfully.
"Okay so I'm gointo give you a lit bit of anesthetic cream couldn't get the good stuff sorry. You will have to be brave" she spoke calmly meeting his eyes, "ready?".
He didn't reply just nodded as he gritted his teeth and felt the needle push against his skin, "done"she nodded as she inspected her work.
"Still go it" she smirked before redressing it, "now we've got to be more careful" she warned him softly.