Realisation

It had been a week and Jacob couldn't help but worry about his mum, she had said she would call and all he had had was a text.
"Connie don't go into work, I want you here with me. In my bed In my arms" he grinned pulling at her skirt as she reached the door. She giggled happily as she tried to untangle herself from his embrace, "I'll be late" she whispered.
The door bell ringing made Jacob groan he knew she would escape him now, "saved by the bell" he grimaced.
Connie smiled moving to the door grabbing her coat, she stepped forward and opened the door standing confused for a moment "Mrs Masters" she spoke concerned.

"Mum" he watched his mum standing before them looking very disheveled and nervous, "may I come in?" She asked rubbing her hand over her now large baby bump.
"Yes please do" Connie nodded kindly, "thank you" she spoke moving in and looking embrassed at her son.
"I'm sorry your right I can't stay with him" she sighed the tears falling down her face.
"What's happened Susan" Connie asked moving closer concerned.
"He just..he's been drinking more, I thought Jacob was the problem but I've always known he has a scary side. I genuinely thought Jacob would be better out of it and we could make it work. I know now that was selfish if he could accept you I should have out you first I've just been so scared about being alone again. The baby I thought it would be different but it isn't and I hate how I've treated you.you have every right to ask me to leave, but I didn't know who else to ask for help" she sighed slumping onto the sofa as Connie motioned for her tot take a seat.

Connie watched as she shifted in discomfort, "What's happened are you in pain" she asked moving to bend beside her as Jacob sat beside her. His anger at her nerve to ask him for help now dissipated as he saw Connie's concern.
"I'm sure it's fine, just sore" she spoke as she motioned for her top.
"May I?" She asked hesitating as she nodded and lifting it up.
"Jesus Susan you need to come with me to the hospital now" she gasped.
"I think he's okay he's kicking and moving around" she spoke as Jacob took in the deep bruising already present. "When was this?" He asked.
"When I got back from the hospital, and again yesterday I can't protect myself with this arm. He got in a rage thought I'd told you about him leaving me after I fell.
"He what?" Jacob gasped.
"I'm sorry I shouldn't have believed you 8 should have left after he hurt you, I'm a selfish weak and I don't deserve to be a mother" she sobbed.
Jacob moving towards her, "I won't lie I did hurt me, but the main thing is to get you both checked over, come on Connie is going in now we can take you" he suggested.
"I'm fine" she replied.
"I don't want more trouble if he finds out" she whimpered.
"Well your not going back so that won't be a problem" he looked to Connie and she nodded, "you can stay here, but for you an dmy brothers sake you need treatment" he spoke firmly.
She looked at him and watched his expression of concern and his gaze moved to Connie and it softened so instantly she smiled.
She nodded, and minuites later she was pulling up at the hospital once again.
"I'll take you straight up to Darwin, I can check you over" she smiled reassuringly, I'm sure baby is fine just a precaution".

"She's got some swelling and some free fluid 8n the abdomen, it might be a bleed" she spoke hurriedly to Elliot.
"Well in her condition surgery is risky but if it's a bleed we could loose baby without much warning" he looked over the scan.

"Connie" Jacob shouted grabbing her attention, as the machines alarmed, "answers out question surgery" she spoke confidently as she noticed the bp on the baby's hear monitor drop and Susan lost concciousness.
"There is a bleed" she spoke to Jacob, seeing the tears well in his eyes.
"Connie me and Micheal will operate your too involved" Elliot insisted.
"But I'm..."
"But Nothing it's a general surgeons remit and your too involved, call obs and Gynie we may need assistance" he spoke as she was already being wheeled away.
"She's in good hands" she turned to Jacob watching his vacant expression.
"What if ..." he began as her fingers met his lips, "dont it won't help anyone. They will do everything they can" she smiled triying to reassure him once again.

Truth was she didn't know, the scans hadn't been conclusive and the fact Elliot didn't want her in theatre suggested he feared the worst. Knowing any bad news would hit Jacob hard and it was better she was directly responsible either way. She knew he was right but she couldn't help worry.