Cold Reception - Chapter 3

You guys are either going to really love me or hate me for this chapter. Possibly both. 

The song featured above is the one I was listening to while writing this story, it's called "Subconscious" by VanilluxePavilion. They have a plethora of really nice remixes, mostly centered around the Pokemon OST, but also some really nice original work, like this one. Consider giving them a listen~

With that said, onto the story, where we check in on the small bean.

Chapter Warning: Blood (Marrow)

***

Goth stirred slightly at a buzzing noise in the distance, a shiver running through him. When he shifted, a dull pain shot through his skull by his left eye socket. Clutching at his skull, he hissed as his fingers touched upon a crack. Something wet and sticky lined the edges. 

That definitely wasn't there before. Am I bleeding? 

He tried slowly opening his eyes. Darkness met his vision, but not the kind that nighttime brought. This was darkness from lack of sight. In both eyes. 

What was wrong with my left eye? Am I completely blind now?!

Trying not to panic, Goth began feeling around sluggishly. He felt the cold and wet ground beneath him and the tug of damp clothing surrounding him. 

Snow? I'm... outside? Yeah, I fell... maybe? Everything that isn't numb feels sore... it hurts to think... it's so cold... I'm so tired...

A ringtone and a dim flash to his left caught his attention. 

So I'm not completely blind... just mostly. 

Slowly dragging himself towards it, a small rectangular light came into view. His phone. Letting out a groan, Goth reached for the device. Even this small effort seemed to sap his energy. As his hand closed upon the plastic casing, he hastily swiped his thumb across the screen in a long-practiced motion and drew the phone close to his skull. 

The sound of footsteps and breathing answered him. "Goth, thank the stars you finally picked up! Where are you?" Palette's voice. Goth breathed out a quiet laugh. Palette took on a worried tone on the other end, "...Goth?"

"P-," Goth tried to speak, but his voice felt frozen along with the rest of his body, "...pa...le...tte." Goth gasped out slowly, trying to answer Palette's question despite his hazy thoughts, "I... h... idunno... fell... 'scold... hurs... can'see... s'blurry..." Each raspy word felt like energy seeping out of him. 

"Goth, tell me what happened. Please," the taller skeleton's voice urged over the phone.

Goth tried gathering his thoughts together. It hurt so much to think. Where had he been again? He fell... where? He was... the... "Th... th'park...," he realized, "I... w... waswalkng... p... pas'atree... n'slipped... now... headhurs... cold... n'tired..." A blip was heard from the phone. 

That sounds familiar...

The battery. That's the sound of the battery dying. 

Dread sank into him. Goth whimpered, tears leaking from his eye sockets at the thought of losing Palette's voice in the cold darkness.

He tried to compose himself and steady his breathing amidst the wave of fear, "...m'scared...I... don'wanna... b... bealone... please... h... helpme..." Another blip caused a small sob to escape Goth's mouth.

"It'll be okay, Goth! I'm at the West park entrance now!" He heard Palette shout.

Palette's already so close?