Criminal Intent - Chapter 1

After three weeks, I finally have a story to post for you guys. Thankfully, I had someone who was willing to read through to help me figure out the kinks. 

 This story's a continuation of 'The Road to Hell' (and 'When One Door Closes', to a lesser extent), so it'll make more sense if you've read that first. Enjoy~

Chapter Warning: Swearing

***

"That'll be thirty dollars," the old man at the cash register grunted. Rurik narrowed his eye sockets at the human.

The price tag on the display said twenty... what's this jackass trying to pull?

Growling, he fished out his wallet from his pocket full of random junk and slammed the money onto the counter. He refused to be the one to start a fight over some flowers.

I said I would work on my temper and it's no secret that most humans despise monsters. I can afford to let it go, just for today.

"Pleasure doing business with you," the man said jovially, popping open the till and placing the money inside while printing out a receipt.

"I bet," the grouchy skeleton huffed, snatching the paper from the man.

Picking up his purchase, he walked out of the convenience store taking slow, calming breaths as the self-help book taught him. He was pleased that after two minutes, he was only slightly annoyed rather than enraged.

Yet another reason to be thankful to Lotus.

Ever since the hanging incident six months ago, Rurik had been making strides on improving himself for his companion's sake. It had been a rough start, but his desire to change and Lotus' encouragement allowed him to slowly improve. His companion even did some research and bought a self-help book that they'd been jointly reading through and practicing from together.

He had to say, he was liking the outcome. He felt much happier and more in control of his emotions now, they spent less on first aid supplies since he wasn't recklessly throwing his weight around whenever he fought or lashing out as much when he got angry.

Rurik was especially proud that he couldn't even remember the last time they had an argument that escalated into a raised voices, much less a physical exchange. Most of what they did nowadays fell more into line with playful teasing.

Lotus seemed to be happier as well. He was enthusiastic about getting up in the morning as well as everything else in general, seemed to have more spring in his step, and the hooded skeleton had actually started smiling. Not that fake type of smile but an actual, genuine smile.

No doubt he would be elated when Rurik presented him with the bouquet of red roses he had just bought. The thought put a smile on his face as he quickened his pace, eager to get home.

---

Rurik splayed out on the couch, the television droning in the background as he watched Lotus washing the dishes in the kitchen, hips swaying slightly as he hummed softly to himself.

Needless to say, Lotus was ecstatic about the roses, prominently displaying them on the living room table.

As the taller's mind trailed to ways he could entice his partner to have some 'fun' tonight, someone banging on the door interrupted him.

Grumbling softly to himself, Rurik let the thought slip away and went to answer the door. Checking the peephole, his mood soured at the sight of four policemen.

Oh great, what now...

Opening the door, he put on his best fake smile and greeted the quartet, "And what brings you to my doorstep?"

"Are you Mister Rurik Roller?" one of the men asked in a gruff voice.

"Yeah...," he answered slowly, not liking where this was heading.

"Did you visit the Route Sixteen Convenience Store at three forty-seven this afternoon?" the same man continued.

Rurik quirked an eye socket as he replied, "Yeah... I bought some overpriced flowers from there, why?"

"Mister Rurik Roller, you're under arrest for the alleged murder of Donovan Ashvole, the store's owner," the man said as two of his partners came forward, one holding a pair of handcuffs.

"What the hell?! I didn't kill anyone!" the skeleton spat, bristling at the accusation as one of the younger men grabbed his wrist and attempted to place the cuffs on him. He clenched his other fist in preparation to clock the guy as the others surrounded him.

"Rurik?" Lotus called out, stepping out of the kitchen to the commotion, "Rurik? What's wro- hey!"

When one of the officers moved to block his companion, the taller skeleton snarled, "Keep your damn hands off of him!"

If they dare to touch Lotus, I'll tear them all apart, to hell with legalities!

He reeled back to take out the man cuffing him when Lotus yelled out, "Rurik, no!" The skeleton halted his strike to look at the smaller, sockets wide and hands clenched.

The hooded skeleton took on a pleading expression, "Please, it's not worth it.  It'll only make things worse if you fight back. If you say you didn't kill anyone, then I trust you. We'll get a lawyer and we'll fight this, the right way."

Dammit... I hate to admit it, but Lotus has a point.

As much as Rurik wanted to scream and rage, he knew deep down it would only get him, and possibly his partner, in more trouble if he resisted arrest and brought down the full threat of the law on them.

Reluctantly, he let the young man cuff him, pulling him out of the house and shoving him into the back seat of a police cruiser. As they pulled away, Rurik could just barely make out the small skeleton's figure in the doorway before he rushed back into the house.

No doubt Lotus is already working on a solution to our problem. I'm innocent, so there's nothing to be worried about... right?

---

Rurik and Lotus were sitting on opposite sides of a thick plexiglass window talking through a pair of black plastic phones. The imprisoned skeleton had already been issued an orange jumpsuit, hand and foot cuffs, and a magic suppressor band attached to his upper left arm to prevent any 'accidents'.

Lotus hadn't wasted any time finding a defense lawyer that would support Rurik in court as well as setting up a meeting at the prison to discuss the actions needed.

If only we had more than five minutes.

"I'm sorry. I wish I could help with finding evidence to acquit you, but the lawyer said the most I could do was provide testimony as a character witness. Otherwise, I would risk being labeled as aiding and abetting you, and any evidence I found would lose credibility," Lotus said, absently worrying his scarf in frustration.

The taller monster frowned, knowing the smaller's fidgeting was a nervous habit he had when he was being overwhelmed by a situation.

"Lotus," he said, moving the phone to his shoulder and tapping on the plexiglass to get his partner's attention, "relax and take a breath."

Once the smaller had followed the instructions and visibly calmed, Rurik continued, "You've already done a shitton of work getting everything organized with the lawyer. Like you said, we'll fight this, and we'll win. You know it'll take more than some crappy accusations to bring me down, right?"

Lotus smiled sadly, nodding his head in agreement, "Yeah... I just hate this whole thing, it's not fair."

The other skeleton grimaced, he couldn't deny that he felt the same way. "Yeah... it's not fair. Anyway, I-"

"Time's up," the guard manning the visitor's booths rumbled, placing a hand on Rurik's shoulder.

Damn... already?

He stood, with Lotus mirroring him as he said into the phone, "We'll get through this, together."

"Right... together," Lotus smiled, eventually hanging up the phone and watching as Rurik was led back to his cell to await his trial day.

***

Word Count: 1,250