Eternal Vow - Chapter 12 (End)

"As touching as this is, there is much to discuss regarding the actions of our guests," Reaper coughed into his hand to gain their attention, "Lady Daria and her servants are awaiting us at the meeting hall. We have already cleared your release with the guards, so there will be no problems."

Palette released the hug with a blush, crawling off the cot and giving Goth room to follow. Swinging their feet over the frame, the vampire let out a sharp hiss and drew his left hand swiftly into his chest upon pressing it down into the sheets of his cot.

"Goth, what happened to your hand?" Palette asked; his tone a mixture of worry and scolding as he grasped the smaller's hand in his own to unwrap the bloody bandage while ignoring the warm, tingling sensation in his fingertips.

"I had to make a cut to give you some of my blood...," the vampire trailed off timidly.

The taller vampire inspected the injury with a frown, "It's not even scarred over. Lord Reaper said I was asleep for a few hours; something like this should have healed by now."

"You were attempting to starve yourself," Reaper accused with a stern glare, "Russel told me you refused your canteen when he left it here with you. I assume you view this as some form of penance?"

"Is that true?" Palette whispered with horror etched on his face. Goth hunched in on himself, answering the question without a word.

Scanning the room, the servant spotted the canteen laying against the leg of the cot. Picking it up and unscrewing the cap, Palette pressed the container into the smaller's good hand, "You need to drink. I don't want to see you hurting and I know from personal experience now that being hungry as a vampire's a really uncomfortable feeling. Please?"

Goth sighed, taking the canteen and drinking hesitantly after getting an encouraging nod from the taller. Satisfied as the injury began to scab over, Palette took the container back, slinging the strap around his shoulder as Reaper directed them out of the cell. He grasped the smaller's good hand, greeting the guards cheerfully as they left the prison sector together.

---

"I have to admit, I feel kind of bad that Lady Daria was being used by her dad like that," Palette said as they walked the path down the shopping district toward home, "Also, why did you agree to get married if you didn't want to?"

"I... I had my reasons," the smaller vampire stated, looking pointedly at the ground while burrowing into his scarf.

Their meeting had gone well enough. Daria, now the acting leader of her coven upon her father's death, had formally announced the annulment of the marriage and Goth had readily agreed, adding that their offer of an alliance was still on the table since her actions made it clear she was opposed to her father's plans.

"Tomorrow will be a busy day," Reaper groaned, shoving his hands into his cloak pockets in lament, "Not only will I need to null the old contracts, a new one will need to be written up and signed with the new terms. Not to mention we will need to orient young Palette in the ways of vampires."

"Wait, does that mean I'll be able to learn how to turn into a bat too?!" the servant gasped, his eye lights almost sparkling in excitement.

Goth laughed, "Eventually, yes. It might take a while, so I wouldn't get discouraged if you can't get it right away."

"Yeah, this is going to be great!" Palette exclaimed, grasping Goth's hands to swing them around in joy. Another question popped into the servant's head and he stopped spinning, "Oh yeah, I also wanted to ask if this tingly feeling is normal for vampires."

The smaller vampire blinked at him, "Tingly feeling?" He sounded perplexed.

"Describe this tingly feeling for us," the elder vampire requested, "when did you first experience the sensation?"

"Well, at first it felt like an earthquake hit me, but now it kind of tickles... it's really warm and cozy and my soul races when it happens," Palette described the symptoms, unaware of the deepening blush on his companion's face, "The first experience...? I think it was in the cell after I hugged Goth."

The elder vampire laughed, "That, young Palette, would be your newly acquired vampire instincts."

"Instincts?" the servant inquired, turning to the smaller vampire, "What do-"

It was only now that Palette was able to notice Goth sputtering next to him, his face resembling a grape with how deeply he was blushing.

Reaper donned a smug grin, "Is there something you would like to tell us? Have you perhaps been harboring feelings for young Palette?"

"Feelings?" it was Palette's turn to be confused as he questioned the smaller, "Wait, does that mean you like me? Why didn't you say anything?"

"I... I did," Goth stammered, taking a deep breath before finally looking the taller in his sockets, "I asked what you would say if a vampire said they liked you, but you said you had other priorities; you said you weren't interested."

"Is that the reason you agreed to Lord Arnest's proposal?" the lord surmised, getting a quiet nod in response from his son.

"You were talking about yourself...," Palette murmured to himself, only to let out a snort and hug the smaller, "You misunderstood me; when I said I had other priorities, I meant you. If anyone else asked, I'd tell them no because it would get in the way of my time with you."

A glimmer of hope sparked in Goth's eye light, "Then... if it was me asking?"

"Then I'd say yes, of course!" Palette laughed, nuzzling the smaller. Before Goth could properly respond, the taller vampire asked, "Wait, can I still be your servant if we get married?"

"You would still be allowed to perform your regular duties, you would merely drop the title of blood servant; at least that is the route Geno took," Reaper clarified with a smirk, "I suppose we will be in need of the banquet room and its decorations after all. However, I would suggest postponing any festivities until things have settled; I would recommend a week at least."

"That sounds good," Palette agreed merrily. Suddenly, an idea struck him, "Hey, I remember hearing someone mention it; can we do a blood bond?"

"What?!" The smaller squawked as Reaper bellowed in laughter.

"You certainly wasted no time," the elder gasped, wiping tears of mirth from his sockets.

"Palette, that's...," Goth breathed, gaining his companion's attention, "What you're asking for isn't something to take lightly. You need to understand exactly what a blood bond entails before you ask that."

Tilting his skull to the side, Palette assented, "Okay then, what's a blood bond?"

The small vampire spoke carefully, "A blood bond is a ritual between two vampires; a sacred vow that for as long as you exist, there will never be another that can take your partner's place. By agreeing to a blood bond, you are agreeing to tie yourself to one and only one individual for all eternity. Vampires only perform a bond with someone they consider 'the one' without a single shred of doubt since it's heavily looked down upon to renege on a blood bond and seek out a new partner, regardless of whether the other is still living or not. A blood bond means forever."

The taller smiled softly as Goth finished, "If that's true, then that just makes me even more sure. You're everything to me, so there's no one else I'd rather spend eternity with."

The shock on the smaller's face was quickly replaced with joy as he wrapped his arms around Palette's chest, "Then I accept your proposal."

Reaper chuckled, walking away as he called back, "Then I will see to making the proper arrangements; I shall let you two love bats have your alone time."

Goth buried his skull in Palette's vest, seemingly forgetting the parent was present and causing the taller to snort at the adorable display. As the smaller peeked up with a flushed face once more, they murmured, "It feels like I'm dreaming."

"Believe me, this is real," Palette declared as the pair slowly closed the gap, sharing what they both hoped would be their first kiss of many.

***

And that's it for our story. Hope you enjoyed and Happy Halloween for those who celebrate it~

Word Count: 1,397