A Little Problem - Chapter 1

Sorry it took me two weeks to get a story out. The story didn't want to cooperate and I didn't like how it came out, so I revised it amid inspiration for another story that's been sitting around for nearly three months.

***

Palette stood in his doorway, dumbfounded at the sight before him. On his doorstep was Reaper, the god of death, holding a miniature version of his best friend. The smaller-than-normal skeleton was sniffling in dismay, wearing a hoodie and his favored scarf that was now far too long for his tiny body.  

"Geno doesn't want him holed up at home by himself while he's stuck like this, but he needs to work on the antidote with Swap Undyne and can't risk Goth getting into anything else at the lab," Reaper explained as he attempted to soothe the child in his arms. "But I also have to work, my bro's busy... and frankly, I don't trust Geno's other siblings to take care of him. You're the only one I can rely on."

From Reapers explanation, the family paid a visit to Undyne in Swaptale... and an accident happened, resulting in Goth reverting to the body of a three-year-old. Now he was in need of a sitter...

"Of course, you can count on me! I'll be the best best friend sitter ever!" The peppy skeleton agreed, taking his friend from the older skeleton's grasp. Goth gripped onto his jacket, burying his face in his chest.

This is going to be so fun... like a sleepover! I love hanging out with my best friend and I love kids, so this is the perfect combination!

"Great, thanks. You have no idea how relieved I am," the god sighed, rubbing the side of his skull, "Anyways, he's able to eat solid food, so feeding him shouldn't be a problem and he usually falls asleep on his own by ten at the latest."

Reaper went quiet, seeming to think of something else to say. He cringed as he muttered, "Interrupting Geno would probably be a bad idea...you have my number in case anything happens, right?"

"Yup... you mentioned a lab accident... any side effects I should keep an eye out for?" Palette questioned, swaying back and forth while hugging Goth.

Reaper thought back to the scientist's words before responding, "It's only his body that reverted, so Undyne said he may have a difficult time controlling his powers or emotions. Teenage emotions in a child's body have left Goth pretty moody about the whole situation."

I can see that. Size had always been a sore spot with Goth, so his body shrinking no doubt has him in a bad mood.

"We'll just have to keep ourselves busy with fun activities then!" Palette chirped.

"Alright then, have fun, kiddos. One of us will call when a working antidote's been made," Reaper said, opening a portal to another universe and disappearing through it. Palette shut the door and looked down at the small skeleton.

He smiled sadly at the sight of tears in his small sockets. "It'll be okay, Goth... your mom's working with Undyne to fix this," Palette crooned.

The smaller skeleton scrubbed away his tears, only for more to replace them as he whined in a higher pitch than normal, "I know! But... I hate this! I hate being so small... I hate not being able to... to do anything... and I hate that I c... can't stop crying! Even though I... I know... it's not doing any good... the tears w... won't stooooooop!"

Goth was now bawling into Palette's jacket, overcome by his emotions while Palette grimaced in sympathy. Looking around, his star-shaped eye lights caught sight of the bookshelf.

Goth loves reading, maybe a book will help!

Walking to the bookshelf, he shifted the small skeleton in his grasp, "Why don't we read a book? It'll help take your mind off things."

Goth hiccuped and grumbled but turned around to peruse the titles regardless. A minute later, Palette was pulling out the first book of a fantasy series, returning to the couch and setting the smaller beside him as he opened to the first chapter.

***

Word Count: 651