The Silver Lining - Chapter 1

Originally, this was supposed to be a one-shot from the prompt 'walking together in the rain'... until it grew to over 2,300 words. Honestly, I've gone through three different iterations of this story, and this one ended up feeling the most natural while still being fluff... and even then, it's 1,689 words.

So now you guys get two chapters of fluff. Enjoy~

***

Palette stopped by the window in the hallway of his school, noticing the rivulets of water dripping down the pane. 

Didn't the weather forecast say it was going to be sunny today? Guess it's a good thing I always carry an umbrella.

Skipping off to his locker and depositing the books he didn't need for homework, he made his way to the school entrance. As he pushed open the large doors, a familiar white cloak and red scarf caught his attention.

Goth stood there, staring at the dark sky from the safety of the school entrance's awning, his slumped shoulders being the only visible indication of his mood.

"Guess I have to book it...," he heard the smaller grumble as they adjusted the straps of their bag.

Wait, what? That cloak won't block out the rain at all, he's pretty much guaranteed to get soaked! 

Just as he was about to run into the downpour, Palette called out, "Hey Goth!" Catching himself before he fell down the steps, he seemed surprised to find his friend behind him.

The taller skeleton crinkled his sockets as he asked, "You're not planning on running through the rain like that, are you?"

Goth turned to look at the drab scenery once more, releasing a sigh as he said, "I didn't bring an umbrella, so it doesn't look like I have much of a choice."

"I always have one on me, so we can share mine!" Palette exclaimed, digging through his own bag to produce a bright yellow umbrella. Pressing the button, the umbrella extended and unfurled itself with a pop.

As he moved closer, Goth asked, "Are you sure? Will it be big enough to fit two people?"

"Sure I'm sure, we'll be fine if we walk close to each other! Besides, your house is on the way to mine, and I wouldn't want you getting wet," Palette stated matter-of-factly.

"If you're sure...," the smaller monster relented, moving to join Palette under the umbrella.

Palette quickly found they were pretty much joined at the shoulder as they made their way to Goth's house since his umbrella was only designed for one person. He didn't mind in the slightest since he got to make small talk with his best friend about their day and their plans after they got home. 

Their conversation eventually led to a change in plans. They would make hot chocolate and do their homework together at Goth's house as thanks for walking him home. Palette readily agreed, enjoying any time he got to spend with the small skeleton.

Before long, the house came into view. Hopping up the steps, Goth dug into his bag for his keys. Two minutes went by as he searched his bag, softly growling to himself, "Where did I-" 

The small skeleton suddenly cut himself off mid-sentence, slapping a holed palm to his skull and groaning.

"What's wrong?" Palette questioned worriedly, attempting to peek around the hand.

"I put my keys on the counter when mom asked me to help her this morning," Goth explained with a heavy tone, "but I lost track of time and I guess I forgot to pick them up before leaving. No one's home either, which means we won't be able to get in." 

He experimentally jiggled the handle, probably hoping the door would somehow be unlocked. Sadly, luck didn't seem to be on Goth's side as the door remained locked tight.

He turned toward Palette, "Sorry, looks like hot chocolate's out today. You should probably head home, the weather doesn't look like it's going to let up anytime soon. Thanks for walking me home."

"What about you?" Palette asked in confusion, "You mentioned earlier during lunch your parents aren't going to be home until later tonight. Are you planning on sitting here until they get back? That could be hours!"

Goth froze with a nonplussed look on his face. 

Did Goth forget? Was that seriously what he planned to do?

Palette watched as his friend mulled over his options, apparently forgetting the most obvious one. Goth was never one to be intrusive, so he supposed it made sense, at least.

"What am I going to do with you?" the taller skeleton murmured softly to himself, a lopsided grin creeping onto his face.

After another minute of silence from Goth, Palette latched onto the smaller's arm and pulled him down the steps, umbrella held aloft as he exclaimed, "Good thing I walked you home, you'll have to come to my house for hot chocolate instead!"

Goth flushed, squeaking out, "W... what? I couldn't, I-"

Palette didn't give him a chance to finish his sentence, "Don't be silly! You were totally going to let me stay at your house, so what kind of monster would I be if I wasn't willing to do the same? Besides, I wouldn't be able to live with myself if I left you all alone out here. Just text your parents that you got locked out and you'll be at my place."

With his objection quelled, Goth sent a message to his mom explaining the situation. Once that was done, the pair jogged down the sidewalk, making a game out of avoiding the puddles at their feet on the way.

***

Word Count: 871