Something in the Way He Moves (One-Shot)

This was inspired by art from the Tumblr user thedanniewannabe of Palette tap dancing. One thing led to another, and I came up with a Dancetale AU one-shot.

I was originally planning on posting this midway through the month, but I figured what better way to celebrate my birthday than releasing a story, hope you guys enjoy~

***

Goth peeked from behind a tree as he watched the skeleton a few yards in front of him dance, taken in by the rhythmic taps and clacks of their shoes against the pavement and the intense look of concentration on their face. Their movements were so quick and lively; a stark contrast to his own wanting steps. To be able to move with passion like that would be a dream come true...

All too soon, the music playing from the dancer's phone fell silent and the owner let out a deep exhale; wiping their forehead as they sat down on the nearby park bench while taking a drink from their water bottle and fiddling around with their phone.

Figuring he should move along before he was caught being a creeper, Goth turned away only for a twig to snap under his foot followed by a shout, "Hey!"

The hooded monster spun around, finding the stranger's starry eye lights were focused on him. As they left the bench and approached him, the smaller quickly apologized, "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to bother you; I heard music and came to see what was going on."

Contrary to his expectations, he taller skeleton laughed, "It's fine, I wouldn't be practicing out here if I minded anyone seeing; so, what did you think? Did I do okay?"

Goth blinked, hardly able to believe what he had witnessed was merely practice. He responded enthusiastically, "Yes, it was great! The way you moved was so exciting, it almost felt like I was moving too."

"Wow, really?" The taller beamed, getting a nod in return, "Thanks! My name's Palette, by the way; what's yours? Do you dance too?"

"You're welcome, and I'm Goth," the smaller replied sheepishly, though his mood wilted a bit at the last question, "I can dance, kind of... I'm not very good at it, though..."

The lukewarm statement didn't seem to deter Palette's excitement, "Really, what style is it? Can I see?"

"Oh, um... it's the waltz... and I suppose, if you really want to see it," Goth conceded, hesitantly pulling out his own phone to pull up his music player, "Just... promise you won't laugh."

"I'd never!" Palette pouted, "I promise I won't laugh; that'd be really rude."

The small skeleton nodded, encouraged by the other skeleton's response. Setting the phone against a tree, Goth settled into his stance while Palette took a seat next to it on the ground. As the beginning notes played, his arms raised and he took his first step, letting the image of flowing water guide his movements. He turned, dipped, and stepped with all the elegance he could muster, letting the melody carry him until the piano music stuck its last wavering chord and the song ended.

Goth looked up from where he had subconsciously closed his sockets at the taller, finding a bright smile on their face as they clapped, "That was really pretty, I don't know if I could ever move that gracefully."

The smaller monster smiled faintly at the compliment, "Thank you, though it still feels off."

"Hmm," Palette quirked his mouth, crossing his arms and laying back against the tree before commenting, "If I had to say anything was wrong with it... I guess it was really technical? Also, the waltz is a two-person dance, isn't it?"

"Most of the time, yes, but a solo waltz is possible," the smaller elaborated, taking a seat next to them and pondering the critique before mumbling, "I suppose technical would be a good way to describe the feeling; most of my knowledge is from reading or videos about the moves and all my practice nowadays is solo."