A Love Like Mine (One-shot)

I feel like the world is in need of some fluff right now; stay safe everyone~

***

"I'm back!" Palette called out, shutting and locking the door before kicking off his boots while juggling the bags of groceries.

"Welcome back," Goth's voice responded from the living room. Peeking around the wall that divided the two areas, Palette found the smaller skeleton tucked into the corner of the couch with a book in his hands. Reaching for his bookmark, the monster marked the page and closed the book, setting it in his lap, "Did everything go well?"

Palette nodded enthusiastically,  "I found everything we needed except for the spices; I asked one of the employees, but they said they don't stock it."

"Thought so," Palette heard Goth sigh as he entered the kitchen and set the bag down on the counter; seconds later, the smaller skeleton joined him in sorting out his purchases, "You'll probably have to find a specialty store or order them online."

Palette huffed in resignation as he put away the frozen vegetables; that was pretty much what his roommate had said before he walked out the door, vowing he would prove them wrong. Knowing he'd never hear the end of it if he continued bellyaching, he decided to change the subject, "So what were you reading?"

"A novel that caught my attention," Goth answered, sliding a box of cereal in between two other boxes in the pantry. The starry-eyed monster snickered, earning him a look, "What?"

"Is it another one of those romance novels?" the taller grinned, crumpling up the plastic bags to store under the sink; he had noticed his companion was really into those lately.

Goth puffed up his cheeks in ire, exiting to the living room, "So what if it is? I like it and the characters are really cute together."

"I didn't say it was a bad thing, it's just an observation," the taller countered, following him and flopping onto the couch opposite his hooded companion, "anyways, what about the characters do you like?"

Settling himself, Goth tucked his knees into his chest; a warm smile formed on his face as he recounted the book, "Well, one of the characters is a very loud and outgoing farmhand, but he's very kind, a hard worker, and does his best to make the people around him happy. There's another character that works at the market he frequents; she's smart, but she's quiet as a mouse so people really don't notice her much." His smile turned melancholy as he continued, "The girl secretly has a crush on the guy, but she feels she would never have a chance with him since he's so well-liked and she doesn't even seem to be on his radar, so she settles for their small interactions whenever he stops by to restock supplies. A few chapters in, another man tries to rob her store and the guy chases them out; he notices a cut on her hand and-" Palette couldn't help the snort that came out of him, bringing the smaller to a halt.

"Sorry, sorry, I just...," he laughed, wiping a tear from his socket, "those characters sound a lot like the two of us and I thought the coincidence was funny." 

Goth blinked at him for a moment as he registered what his companion said before exploding into a vibrant blush and subsequently hiding it between his scarf and hood.

"What's wrong?" Palette leaned forward to get a better look at Goth's face; only a vigorous skull shake answered him. Sitting back, he mentally ran through the conversation trying to figure out what he said to upset his roommate. 

The smaller said he liked a book and that the characters were cute together; Palette asked why he liked them; Goth talked about a character that sounded similar to him having a crush on a character that sounded just like-