Testing the Ties that Bind - Chapter 1

Hope you guys are ready...

Chapter Warning: Panic attack

***

A flash went off as Palette took a picture of himself and Goth, capturing their moment of silliness on his phone.

"Stars, I probably look so goofy," the smaller skeleton snorted, leaning over to see the results before his boyfriend added it to the extensive collection he had gathered over the years they had been together.

Boyfriend. I love that I can use that word to describe Palette.

Goth smiled at the memory of the day Palette finally realized his feelings for Goth. It had included a frantic phone call, nice cream, a white dog, and an accidental dip in the park fountain, but the confession and their resulting relationship was well worth it.

It had been three years since then, and every day had Goth walking on cloud nine. He felt beyond lucky that Palette had agreed to be his boyfriend. Even better, they managed to find a really cozy apartment together that they were currently living in.

It can't get any better than this.

"You seem happy, what're you thinking about?" Palette questioned, wrapping his arms around the small skeleton, pulling him in close and nuzzling into his neck.

"Us," Goth said simply, snuggling in closer and laying his skull against the other's shoulder. Palette laughed, causing the hooded monster to look up in confusion, "What?"

Palette wiped the tear of mirth that had cropped up at the edge of his socket as he beamed, "Sorry, it still amazes me how sentimental you get sometimes. I would have never pegged you as a cheesy romantic when we first met."

"Well, excuse me," the smaller pouted, earning another bout of laughter and a kiss on the forehead.

Goth blushed as his companion stated, "I didn't say it was a bad thing. I think it's adorable and sweet."

"Speaking of sweet, I'm going to make myself some more hot chocolate, do you want another cup?" the smaller asked, extricating himself from Palette's arms to grab his red mug from the table.

"Nope, I still have plenty left over," the taller skeleton sighed as he watched Goth walk away toward the kitchen, turning to scroll through the pictures on his phone while he waited.

As Goth added in his favorite puffy marshmallows to his drink, his boyfriend's voice drifted from the living room, "Hey Goth, I was looking through the pictures of us and realized something funny!"

"Oh? And what's so funny?" Goth inquired as he picked up his drink and carried it out to the living room once more.

Palette was staring at his phone, smiling as replied, "It looks like you haven't grown a bit since we met!"

The scarved skeleton froze in the doorway, contemplating the possible implications of that sentence. He felt a chill run down his spine as he clenched his mug tightly to silence the fingers that quietly rattled against it.

It doesn't mean what I think it means. I can't jump to conclusions... this is Palette, after all. He always makes off-the-wall comments that don't really mean anything. I'll just brush it off and he'll move onto another topic like always. Stay calm...

"Oh, really? I didn't notice. Is there anything good on T.V?" Goth stuttered slightly, taking shaky steps toward the couch while attempting to change the subject.

Unfortunately, Palette wasn't deterred, "Yeah, from the looks of it, you look exactly the same as you did ten years ago! It's really freaky! Here, in this picture we took a week ago, you only come up to-"

Palette's words were slowly drowned out as a dull roar filled Goth's skull, accompanied by the distant sound of porcelain shattering against wood and the feeling of hot liquid against bone.

Goth felt his balance waver as the world closed in around him... he felt something wrap around him... he heard shouting... but his mind couldn't process the information as he struggled to tame the panic-induced thoughts that smothered him.

 but his mind couldn't process the information as he struggled to tame the panic-induced thoughts that smothered him

He knows! He finally realized I can't age! It hurts! He thinks it's freaky! He thinks I'm a freak! I AM a freak-

"Go...?! ...th, wh... ...ng?!"

He's going to break up with me! He'll leave me! I can't breathe! I'll be alone again! I don't want to be alone-

"Pl... ...u ha... ... eathe, G...!"

Everything was perfect! I finally had my happy ending! Am I moving? Now it's over! My life is over-

"...llo 9...? ... yfrie... ...ing tr...ble bre...!"

It's better this way.... people always stared. Palette claimed they were jealous. I feel like I'm dying! I know better... they all saw the size difference. I still look like a child-

"P... ...ry! Go... ...ng on, hel... com...!"

It would have ended eventually... everyone thought it was weird... better to rip the band-aid off now... It hurts! 

... Losing Palette hurts more...

"...!"

I was right... it couldn't get any better... it only became so much worse... my luck ran out... and now... I......

As if an invisible cord snapped, Goth felt his mind and body shut down as his hope went with it, leaving darkness and silence in its wake.

---

*beep* *beep* *beep*

Rhythmic beeps echoed in the darkness. Goth's thoughts felt muddled as he tried to deduce what the sound was. It took him far longer than it should have to realize it wasn't actually dark... his sockets were merely closed.

Forcing them open, his eye light slowly focused on a white ceiling surrounded by creamy beige walls.

Where am I...?

The skeleton attempted to move his arms to pull himself up, but he was only able to shift weakly against a thin blue cotton blanket laying across his body from the sternum down.

Why do I feel so exhausted?

Turning his skull toward the source of the noise, Goth found a machine with a cord leading from it to where he laid. His chest and right leg felt sore, everything else felt heavy.

After a slow moment of contemplation, he realized he was in the hospital, laying on a bed.

Why? Did I get hurt? It certainly feels like it, but I don't reca-

The memories began to trickle back, flowing until it felt like a tidal wave crashing into him.

No... Palette made the connection. He... he figured it out... that I'm stuck in this child's form... that I'll never grow any bigger...

Then he realized the room was empty.

***

Word Count: 1,057