The Gift That Keeps on Giving - Chapter 1

This is a Christmas special/continuation of 'My Gift to You', so it would be wise to read that to know what's happening here.

So Merry (early) Christmas and enjoy~

***

Palette opened the door to his oven, inhaling deeply as the scent of freshly baked sugar cookies wafted from within. Sticking a gloved hand in to retrieve the hot tray, a slight weight brushed against his leg.

Glancing down, Goth's feline form was weaving in and out of the skeleton's legs. Palette lifted the tray from the oven, shutting the door before his best friend could get ideas to use the hot lid as a step onto the counter. His companion lifted onto their hind legs, trailing up Palette's pant leg in a languid stretch before meowing in interest.

 His companion lifted onto their hind legs, trailing up Palette's pant leg in a languid stretch before meowing in interest

Goth was affectionate to be sure, but Palette already knew what he really wanted.

Placing the tray on the stovetop burners next to the simmering kettle, he walked over to an already-prepared plate of biscuits specially made for Goth and picked one shaped like a small fish from the pile. The cat was already right behind him in an attentive sitting position, his tail gently flicking back and forth.

Crouching down with the biscuit in one hand, Palette instructed, "Up." Goth lifted onto his hind legs, resting on his haunches while focusing on the baked prize. "Paw," the skeleton continued, placing his hand out before his friend. The cat reached both paws forward, pressing their weight into his palm so they could lean toward the biscuit.

"Close enough," Palette laughed, handing over the treat. Goth took it eagerly, trotting into the living room and onto the couch where Dream had been watching a Christmas special in one deft leap. He curled up in the dip the older skeleton had created in the cushion; receiving long, slow pets while munching on his reward.

Palette watched the scene with a smile as he began transferring the cookies onto a paper towel; even though Goth was still pretty small, he was no longer the scrawny kitten Reaper and he rescued from the alley eight months ago. Starting out thin as a bone and barely able to scale the couch without help, it wasn't long before he put on a healthy weight and discovered the joys of climbing and exploring... which included the counters, tables, and the dryer on one occasion, among other things, though a squirt bottle resolved most of those issues.

They had also learned three weeks ago that blinking lights and glass ornaments on the Christmas tree were a very bad idea with an adventurous cat in the house; no one was injured, but the tree now had plastic substitutes.

Thankfully, Goth had been getting better about his climbing places. The large cat condo in the living room certainly helped, giving him plenty of hidey-holes to explore, sissel to scratch, and a cozy perch to watch over the residents. The only place he didn't seem keen on exploring was outside; Palette didn't know if that was a result of residual feelings from his past life or the feline simply preferring the indoors, but he certainly wasn't complaining.

Regardless of energy levels or curiosity, Goth had become a common fixture in their household; curling up on the pillow by Palette's skull or burrowing under the covers each night before bed, greeting him with eager chirps each morning, and keeping Dream company whenever the younger skeleton had to go somewhere his friend couldn't follow.

The cat perked up moments before the doorbell rang, announcing the arrival of the two guests that had also become common fixtures. He bounded off the couch to the door, meowing as he rubbed against the frame.

"Get back, Goth," Dream chastised gently, nudging him aside with their foot so they could open the door. Palette plucked his friend off the floor, lifting them into their usual spot over his shoulder and scratching at the fur under their red collar, eliciting rumbling purrs and headbutts as the door was opened.

"Merry Christmas Geno; Reaper," Dream greeted the pair waiting on the doorstep, brightly wrapped gifts in-hand. Stepping aside, he let the two enter the house and shut the cold weather out behind them.

"Thank you for having us, Dream," Geno said, walking over to place the present in his hands down at the Christmas tree as Reaper followed suit, being mindful not to touch the tree.

"Being here definitely spruces up the holidays," Reaper chimed in with a chuckle. Their host rolled his golden eye lights but smiled regardless as Palette approached with Goth's squirming form.

"And how's my little man?" Geno cooed, his one eye light shining as he reached forward to run his thumb along Goth's cheek, a motion that was always welcome as far as the animal was concerned. Palette handed him over, his sockets crinkling in joy as his best friend ate up the attention, purring and chirping while nuzzling into the older skeleton's neck and chin.

"Outside of being a bit overweight for his age, he's doing well according to the vet. He's due for his next round of shots in two months," Palette relayed.

"I know I always say it, but thanks again for taking Goth in," Reaper said, his smile holding a melancholy tinge to it, "I really don't know what I would have done if ya said no."

"Of course, I couldn't leave him out there," the young skeleton stated, running a hand down Goth's back as he continued burrowing into Geno's scarf.

"And thank you for letting us come to visit so often," the smaller parent added, "I know it's probably a hassle having us over all the time, but being able to see our boy really helps."

"It's no problem; I enjoy having the regular company and the mood in the house has really lifted since he came," Dream admitted as Goth started squirming to be let down. Geno complied and no sooner did his paws hit the floor, the cat made a beeline for Reaper.

The skeleton hovered just out of Goth's reach in a practiced manner, digging into his cloak while the cat batted at the edges, chuckling, "Woah there kitto, ya know the rules." Pulling out the ever-present teaser wand from the folds, he dangled it a fair ways away from himself.

Goth's attention fixed on the jingling toy, abandoning the tattered hem for the more alluring bells and fluffy strings. Reaper grinned as he played with his furry son, but everyone could tell he desperately wanted to hold them as his friends and husband could; unfortunately, no one could say for sure if the feline at his feet would be safe from his powers, so he settled for carrying a teaser around to use in all his interactions while letting Geno handle the cuddling.

"I made some sugar cookies and hot chocolate if you want something to eat before we open presents," Palette chimed in, hoping to shift the somber mood.

Geno seemed to catch on, moving himself and Reaper toward the couch, "That sounds great; I'd like to try some."

"Do ya have any coffee?" Reaper asked, bouncing the teaser as Goth followed along after it, "Work's been brutal the past couple days."

Dream looked up from where he'd started sorting out the presents to be distributed, "Have things been really busy?"

"I don't wanna bore ya with the details, but let's just say there's been a lot of paperwork to process and my bro's been really adamant about making sure we don't fall behind," the older skeleton chuckled half-heartedly. Everyone let the matter drop since his job wasn't the best topic for the festive season.

With Geno and Reaper seated on the couch, starting a conversation with his mom while Goth jumped up onto Geno's lap, Palette left the room to retrieve the cookies and drinks.

***

Word Count: 1,282