A Brewtiful Beginning - Chapter 7

Chapter Warnings: Swearing

***

Goth sipped at the warm mug of hot chocolate in his hands, wrapped in a nest of blankets on the couch as a Saturday night movie marathon played on the television. Palette was at work finishing what was likely the final leg of the evening shift as the smaller had done for the morning shift.

Maybe Palette would be home in time to catch the beginning of the next movie with him. Since the cafe was closed on Sundays and the artist had already turned in his latest project, they could stay up all night if they wanted. They could make popcorn, talk about the colorful characters that visited the cafe or about the great joke his mom texted him, they could play a game together...

The small skeleton's thoughts slowed, realizing he was enthusiastically anticipating his roommate's return. It was a weird feeling after being alone for so long, two months together had certainly changed a lot, but it made him feel warm inside thinking about his companion coming home.

Before he could delve into the deeper meaning behind it his phone chimed softly, alerting him to a text. Reaching out from his fabric cocoon toward the table, he picked up his phone to read the message.

Palette: Hey, a bunch of us are going out for drinks, want to come?

Drinks? Usually, he didn't bother. He never saw a point to going out before, but now...

He was typing before the thought had fully formed.

Goth: Sure, where are you guys going?

Since Palette was going straight from work, the place probably wouldn't be anything fancy, but he would still need to change out of the fuzzy pajamas he was currently wearing. Minutes ticked by and there was no response. Goth typed out another message, wondering if the last one didn't send properly.

Goth: Do you know where everyone's going?

Another minute passed as Goth began to worry. As he began typing out another message, Palette replied.

Palette: Sorry, everyone freaked out when they found out you were coming. They said it's a place called The Pale Cask.

Goth huffed, not overly surprised since he usually rejected invitations. Searching up the location, it looked to be a pretty casual sitdown bar about twenty minutes from the apartment.

Goth: Alright, I can be there in about thirty minutes. I'll be waiting outside.

Unraveling himself from the blankets, chugging the rest of his drink, and setting the mug in the dishwasher, Goth trotted down the hallway to his room. Since it was getting colder outside, he would probably need something heavier than his usual fare.

He grabbed some jeans, a long-sleeve gray shirt, his white cloak, and one of his heavier black jackets from the closet. Wrapping his signature red scarf around his neck to finish his outfit, he checked himself in the bathroom mirror. Satisfied with the outcome, he snagged his wallet, keys, and phone, walking out the door and pocketing the keys once it was locked.

The walk itself was quiet since the cool evening air deterred many from straying outside. He didn't mind, the quiet was familiar and soothing. Arriving at his destination, he stood next to the doorway and checked his phone. Only a text confirming the meeting from Palette.

"Holy shit, you really showed up."

Goth turned to the doorway to find Zeke, Mona's grandson, ogling at him. Maury; an older badger monster, Brea; a woman with a fiery bob, Flo; a plant monster with 'hair' reminiscent of an upturned tulip, and Tamara could be seen through the glass of the waiting area expressing mixed levels of shock and excitement.

Goth directed his gaze away from his coworker as he smiled nervously, "Palette invited me and I didn't have any grounds to refuse."

The joke passed right over Zeke's head as he reached out to grab the skeleton's arm in exasperation, "Then get in here! It's too cold to stand outside waiting for the others and Gran would flip if you got sick."

Goth barely managed a sharp inhale before he was pulled through the doorway and into the warmer atmosphere of the bar. Luckily, Zeke let go as soon as they were through the door. The monster knew the man was similar to his grandmother and meant well, but he was a bit pushier with his 'care' than the smaller liked.

"So, the elusive Goth finally appears," Tamara giggled behind him, "Any special reason for the appearance?"

"I figured I'd try going out for once, is all," Goth explained readily, knowing exactly what she was aiming at, "Besides Palette, who are we waiting on?"

Tamara listed off four people on her fingers, "Besides Palette, there's Claire, Tai, and Elise."

Tai was a laidback guy with messy black hair and glasses while Elise was a softspoken girl with mousy brown hair she usually pulled back in a bun. Claire was... well, Claire. Altogether, there would be ten people.

The door opened behind him, ushering cold air into the waiting area. Tamara perked up, "In fact, he-"

"Goth!"

The small skeleton jumped at the sudden loud voice directly behind him. Turning around to find Palette, he willed his soul to calm itself as he greeted his coworker, "H... Hey Palette."

"Wow, he really did show up," Elise murmured in wonder as she walked through the door, Tai and Claire following soon after, "I don't think I've ever seen him outside the cafe."

"I don't know what you said to get him out here, but good job Pal," Tai praised the taller skeleton with a friendly pat on the back.

Claire giggled, coming around to massage Goth's shoulders playfully, "You look like a startled cat. Not a fan of crowds?"

"N... no, just... loud noises...," the small skeleton trailed off, his arms curling around himself as his thumb rubbed against his humerus absently.

"Oh... I was too loud again, wasn't I?" Palette belatedly noticed, his face falling a bit, "I'm sorry Goth."

"It's fine, you didn't mean it," he tried to wave away the apology.

"No, you came out to have fun with us and I don't want to ruin it," the taller shook his skull adamantly, "everyone's been saying this is the first time you accepted an invitation, so I want it to be the best night ever. That way, you'll want to come out with us more."

Goth huffed lightly, a smile playing on his face, "I appreciate the thought, but you're not ruining anything. Honest."

As Palette's face lit up into a light shade of green and beamed, Zeke called out, "We're being seated guys, let's go."

***

Word Count: 1,103