A Window to the Soul (One-shot)

The premise behind this one-shot was inspired by the story 'The Prettiest Shade of Red' by Kaiwuff on AO3. It contains Kustard and Rottenberry Sans ships as the main focus, so if you like those, give it a read~

Also, Happy Early Independence Day to my followers who celebrate it on July 4th. To everyone else, Happy Existence Day, I'm glad you're here!

Edit: For the ones that missed the update on my A/N, I've posted the first chapter of my new story 'To be at Peace with Yourself', so go give it some love, please?

***

Palette grimaced at the picture in front of him. 

Something's still missing... I just wish I knew what, though.

It feels... dull?

Most would disagree, citing the vibrant colors he used. To them, it would be considered a beautiful work of art. When the skeleton looked at it, however... it looked off in a way he couldn't describe.

Normally, he wouldn't be surprised given all monsters grew up lacking the ability to perceive certain colors from the moment they're born. A monster only regained that color when they happened upon their destined partner containing eyes of that particular shade. 

The problem was that Palette didn't seem to lack the ability to see any color. He'd tested himself many times, the results never changed, he was able to make out each color that made up a rainbow and every tint in between.

Not for the first time, he wondered if that meant he had no soulmate.

Or maybe I already met them and never realized it. But if that's the case, why does my art always look so... incomplete?

Palette scrubbed at his skull, racking his mind to come up with the solution to a problem that had plagued him since his mom taught him about the concept of soulmates.

"Palette? Are you still up there?" His mom, Dream, called from downstairs. 

"Yeah... Why?" the young monster called back, tilting back in his chair as if the action would help his voice carry better. 

A chuckle was heard in response, "You're going to be late to school, for starters-"

Palette bit off a yelp as he clumsily righted himself in his chair, grabbed his phone to check the time. Finding he was indeed late, the skeleton snatched up his supplies, cramming them haphazardly into his bag. 

I got so wrapped up in my art, I forgot the time! Looks like I'll have to skip breakfast if I want to make it.

Racing out of his room and down the stairs, skipping a few steps in his haste, his mom stood at the bottom of the stairs with his lunch. 

Lucky! I probably would have forgotten all about it until lunchtime came around.

"Bye, mom!" Palette shouted, grabbing the bag as he barreled out the door. 

"Have fun, sweetie!" he heard the older monster reply behind him as he raced out the door and down their walkway leading to the sidewalk.

---

When he got to school, the courtyard was milling with activity. Pulling out his phone, he goggled at the time. 

Now I'm early? How does that even work? Was I really running that fast? Stars, I might've actually had time for breakfast after all...

Heaving a sigh, Palette found a bench to relax on while waiting for the bell to ring. 

Maybe I can work on that picture some more...