Driven Together - Chapter 4 (End)

Happy Thanksgiving everyone~

***

Goth groaned, shifting to get more comfortable in the warmth of the bedsheets; he had nearly reclaimed sleep when he swore he heard a voice quietly chuckle, "I think I see what you meant."

"He watched over me the whole time I was out and fell asleep pretty quickly, so he had to be tired," he heard a voice whisper as he felt warm fingertips traveling lightly across his skull; it felt so relaxing, he could almost-

"He's always been a heavy sleeper," another voice murmured somewhere behind him, "it was a struggle getting him out of bed for school when he was younger."

"Really? He seems to do well enough getting himself out of bed for work," the hand stilled on his skull, prompting him to finally open his sockets. He was greeted by Palette smiling warmly at him past a padded plastic ring, "Hey, did you have a good nap?"

"Palette...?" Goth mumbled groggily, catching sight of Dream out of the corner of his socket, "why's your mom...?"

"Well well, look who's finally awake," Goth rolled over just enough to see Raven sitting with his arms crossed in a chair next to their mom; his mind finally processed where they were and why at that moment.

"Oh stars," the skeleton groaned, hiding the deep lavender flush on his cheeks in Palette's shoulder as he whined, "Paleeeette, why didn't you wake me up?" The sounds of laughter surrounding them didn't help his embarrassment in the slightest.

"Sorry... you looked so comfortable, I didn't want to disturb you," Palette replied, trying hard not to join in as he rubbed Goth's arm in comfort, "Doctor Atash also gave the okay for you to be on the bed as long as it wasn't hurting me... she did seem a bit surprised when I called you my boyfriend, though."

"The doctor was here?" Goth perked up, forgetting his embarrassment, "What did she say?"

"She said everything looks good so far; she had me move my hands and feet, but still needs to check my neck and spine... something about healing in proper alignment. The only problem is that I would have needed to sit up for it and I didn't want to wake you, so I'm doing that one later."

Dream reached over for a remote, "Now that he's up, we can go ahead and readjust the bed so it's easier to talk to each other."

"You could have woken me up; I wouldn't have minded," Goth insisted as the bed began shifting into an upright position.

"No, I'm glad he let you rest," Geno interjected into the conversation, "Hearing how upset and tired you were over the phone, I can't tell you how relieved I was to walk in and see you sleeping peacefully next to him. It really did feel like we couldn't get down here fast enough, but it was at least comforting to know you weren't alone."

"I'm sorry...," Goth ducked his skull in shame; he had really tried to remain calm over the phone so he wouldn't worry anyone, but it looked like it wasn't enough.

"You have nothing to apologize for," Dream was the one to speak this time. Goth raised his skull, surprised by the smile on the parent's face, "In my opinion, how someone behaves during an emergency speaks volumes of their constitution and character. Last night and this morning, you made sure he quickly got the medical attention he needed when he couldn't help himself and comforted him when he needed it the most. You mean the world to him, and what I've seen and heard is more than enough to prove his feelings for you aren't misplaced." The older skeleton chuckled, "Palette also fusses over others when they're sick, upset, or in pain; I'd be more worried something was wrong if he wasn't mother-henning you."

"I don't 'mother hen'," Palette denied, though his expression said otherwise.

"Oh my stars, you do," Goth countered, snickering at the epiphany, "Remember when I got hot coffee thrown at me? You were right there, leading me into the lounge and treating the burns I got from it. You even made sure I laid down once we got back to the apartment, took over making dinner, and cleaned up while telling me to relax."