My Fine Furred Friend - Chapter 2

Chapter Warning: Character death mention

***

Palette laid on the grass, staring up at the even sky and admiring how the yellow, orange, and pink hues melded together into the expanding purple. He had been conversing with Goth for hours now, having asked almost every question under the sun and having many of his misconceptions about vampires laid to rest.

"Wow, humans and monsters have vampires pegged all wrong," the skeleton said, turning to his new companion, "everyone paints you as bloodthirsty, vicious beasts that would attack on sight... but if anything, you seemed way more scared of me when I stumbled upon you."

"That's... not completely true," Goth admitted with a slight grimace, "There are some vampires that fit your description, though we consider them rogues of our kind. They're the ones that seek out a target not for survival, but as a means of pleasure and bloodlust. Unfortunately, they also tend to be the ones that garner the negative attention and give the rest of us a bad reputation."

His expression fell as his voice grew quiet, "As for why I was scared, that's... kind of a complicated story."

"I'd like to hear it...," Palette said, quickly adding on, "... if you don't mind talking about it, that is. If it's too personal, I won't pry."

Goth shook his skull. "I've had plenty of time to come to grips with it... one of the perks of being a vampire, I suppose," he chuckled half-heartedly to himself before beginning his story. 

"A long while back, I met a monster. He was a skeleton, much like you. He wasn't fascinated with vampires like you, but he was skeptical of the rumors surrounding them. We met, and after a while we became friends. I would sneak away to spend all day playing in the woods with him.

"One day, I went out to play with him without feeding first... and I ended up falling and hurting myself pretty badly. My friend was at a loss on how to help until I told him I needed blood to heal... he then offered to let me bite him. I had bitten blood servants before and everything had turned out fine, and the pain hurt so much at that moment... so I agreed with his offer and bit him. 

"The problem was that I underestimated how much being injured would affect my self-control."

Goth hugged his knees to his chest, his hood drooping down as he continued, "I control of lost myself while I drained him dry. The pain clouded my mind and I was too focused on healing my injuries to hear his words. Vampires... we have a sac of paralytic fluid connected to our teeth that keeps a target still when we feed, so he wasn't able to escape or fight back. 

"When I regained control, he was motionless and cold... he dusted in my arms minutes later. He had to have been scared, feeling the life draining from him without being able to stop it... and I... I caused that fear. He cared about me and trusted me, yet... I ended up killing him.

"Naturally, the monsters and humans that knew him were enraged and came after me for revenge. M... my mother tried to protect me from their wrath, told me to go while he reasoned with them... but they ended up k... killing him instead. 

"I was able to get away, but I haven't been able to bite another creature since then. I haven't let anyone get close to me since then, either.. How can I, when anyone that stays around me eventually ends up dying?" 

Goth's skull was buried in his knees as he finished his story, his hood completely obscuring his face. Palette inched closer to his melancholy companion, wanting to comfort him, but also not wanting to startle him after managing to gain some amount of trust. 

As he processed the story, one detail stuck out.

The skeleton gently asked, "Goth, you said you haven't fed since that day... but vampires need blood to live, don't they? How have you gotten by without feeding?"

Wiping his face on his sleeve, the small vampire focused on the ground ahead of him. "I've consumed blood since then... I just can't take it directly from the source," he responded, digging into his cloak to pull out a small leather pouch.

Opening it, he held it out for Palette to see three corked glass vials containing a reddish-black liquid.

"I keep a supply of blood contained in these vials on me at all times so I can drink from them if I ever feel hungry or need a boost," Goth explained, "Father says it's a bad habit, that the vials can break too easily, that blood from a vial isn't as potent as it is from the source, that I need to be able to bite... but I can't. It only reminds me of what I lost that day whenever I try."

The small skeleton put the pouch away, a bitter smile forming on his face, "I'm pathetic, aren't I? Toting around vials of blood, not being able to bite properly, jumping at the sight of mortals, worrying everyone around me... all because I couldn't control my actions in the past. And now I'm letting it ruin the rest of my life."

Palette furrowed his browbone as he countered, "I don't think you're pathetic. You went through a traumatic experience and lost people you cared about. I think you're strong, not to mention pretty creative to find a way around biting others without starving yourself. Your friend and mom would've wanted you to live. By finding a solution instead of giving up, you're giving their deaths meaning."

Goth stared for a moment, sighing as he said, "Thanks Palette. You seem like a good guy... your words remind me a lot of my friend, they sound like something he would've said." Picking himself up, he looked up at the now indigo sky and murmured, "It's not safe out here when it's dark, I should get you back to your village."

Palette didn't feel like he was in any danger, but he relented and went to pick up his kindling anyways. He hesitantly picked up his knife as well. Luckily, Goth didn't seem to be worried as he secured it to his hip once more.

The vampire walked with him in amicable silence, stopping at the treeline that divided the village and the woods.

"This is as far as I can take you...I wouldn't want to cause a ruckus if anyone saw me," he stated, worrying his hands against the hem of his cloak's sleeves.

The taller waved the apology away, "It's fine, thanks for walking me this far." As Goth turned to leave, Palette called out, "Hey, is there any chance I can see you again? It was really fun talking to you, I'd really like it if we could be friends."

The vampire froze and Palette grimaced at the reaction, internally berating his wording.

Stars... why did I say that? Of course he wouldn't want to be friends with a monster. He just told me what happened to his last friend.

Before he could backpedal and take back the request, the smaller replied quietly, "You... you really want to be friends? After everything I told you? I mean, having a friend again... that actually sounds really nice. I miss having someone to talk to."

Palette perked up, nodding enthusiastically, "Yeah! You're not a bad person, you just made a mistake. I'd like to be friends if you're okay with it."

Goth's expression became stern as he said, "Alright, but there's one thing I have to ask before I accept. If we're really going to be friends, you have to promise me you'll never ask me to bite you or anyone else for any reason. Also, if you're ever in danger and I tell you to go, you need to go. I... I wouldn't be able to handle losing another friend."

Palette thought over the conditions for a moment.

"I promise I'll never ask you or force you to bite for any reason," he agreed, "though if I'm in danger, that would mean you're probably in danger too. I can promise that I would listen, but only if you get out of danger too. You're my friend, after all, and I'd be a pretty crummy one if I just left you to suffer alone."

The vampire mulled over Palette's words, waffling on whether he could accept the counterterms. "Alright, I suppose I can accept that..." Goth sighed, letting a small smile peek through.

Palette flashed a wide grin in return,  "Awesome, we're going to be the best of friends!"

***

Word Count: 1,429