A Little Problem - Chapter 2

To the people that thought this was going to be a purely fluffy story... I don't blame you after the few fluff stories I made, but ooh boy, are you in for a surprise.

***

As the hours wore on, the small skeleton's tears ebbed as Palette read aloud, drawing the pair into their paperback adventure. He would have continued if not for the audible growl coming from his stomach.

Both skeletons blinked at the sound, and the taller laughed as he marked the page they were on, "I guess it's time to eat... let's go see what looks good."

Goth scooted off the couch, dropping onto the floor where his waist came up to the top of the cushions. As Palette set the book down, the child hiked up the oversized hoodie he was wearing and headed for the kitchen as the tails of his scarf dragged across the ground. Palette snickered at the sight.

I really shouldn't laugh, but it looks like he's wearing a dress. There's no way I can say that, though. He's finally in a good mood, it would probably upset him all over again.

"Palette, come on! I can only hover so far up!" the smaller yelled from the kitchen doorway.

"Alright, alright, I'm coming," the taller skeleton chuckled, pushing himself off the couch. He gasped in surprise when a wave of vertigo hit him, forcing him to his knees.

What happened?

"Palette?!" Goth cried out, rushing back to his companion's side, "Palette, what's wrong? Say something!"

"I'm okay... I think I just stood up too quick...," Palette mumbled, attempting to push himself up once more. Goth rushed to stabilize his companion when he nearly toppled over again, confusion and fear mixing in his expression as the smaller monster struggled to push him toward the couch.

"I don't get it... I felt perfectly fine earlier, why does it suddenly feel like I have no strength?" Palette grumbled to himself, placing a hand on his skull as he regained his seat.

Palette started at the small gasp. Looking up, Goth was backing away from him, stumbling over his scarf as tears reformed within blank sockets, clenching his hands into the red fabric. "... Goth?"

"It's me...," he whispered, shaking his skull as his eye light wavered in growing horror, "I'm causing it... I can't control it again... not like this..."

Dread seeped into Palette's soul. He reached for the small skeleton, his hand wavering slightly, "Goth, what are you-"

"DONT!"

He recoiled his hand at Goth's screech as if he'd been burned. The hooded monster stood three feet away from him, hunched in on himself while sobbing, "You c... can't touch me... I'll... I'll end up... hur... hurting you again..."

"What are you talking about? What do you mean, you... can...," Palette's starry eye lights shrunk as it dawned on him.

Oh... oh no... Goth's energy drain ability...

"You figured it out... didn't you?" Goth hiccuped, staring down at his palms, "I... I'm dangerous like this..."

Palette's soul clenched at the sight. Pushing past his own worries, he reached out once more to comfort the smaller skeleton, "Goth, you're not-"

"NO!"

A flash of light filled the room, momentarily blinding Palette as he threw his arms up to shield himself. He was relieved when nothing happened until a quiet voice groaned, "Pa... lette..."

Palette dropped his arms to find Goth clutching himself in a death grip as purple magic crackled ominously around him. His starry eye lights dimmed as he murmured, "Goth...?"

"Get.... away... I... I c... can't... s... stop it... it hurts... p... please..." the small skeleton whined, clenching his sockets as the energy around him swirled violently and the ghostly form of bones began to taken shape, "...please!"

Stars, what have I done?

Goth had to release the chaotic energy, so the taller needed to find shelter. With a heavy heart, Palette turned and dove behind the nearby couch. Once he was situated, throwing out a shield of bones for good measure, he called out, "Alright Goth, I'm ready! You can let go!"

As if the words were a switch, the smaller skeleton released a piercing scream as the living room turned into a storm of light, magic, and bones. Palette was forced to let his shield drop when the bombardment proved too much for his dwindling magic, wincing at the sound of shredded fabric that followed.

A minute later the light died down to a soft glow. Palette hazarded a glance over the arm of the couch, grimacing at the state of the walls and furniture as the bones dissipated.

The sound of gasping in the silence directed his gaze to the small figure in the center of the destruction, shivering as he held himself.

Goth's skull craned up slightly as he rasped, "P... Pa...aah..." Palette bolted from his hiding spot as his friend fell forward, slumping to the floor like a ragdoll.

"Goth!" he cried, kneeling down to check on the small monster.

He feels warm and his breathing's rough. It looks like he's asleep, but I still feel his ability sapping my strength. I'm not sure if I should move him...

He lifted his skull, inspecting that state of the nearby couch, frowning at the copious amount of tears and loose stuffing.

It doesn't look like the couch is an option since it's pretty torn up... along with the rest of the living room. Mom's going to have a fit when he gets home, I need to fix this somehow...

In a stroke of inspiration, he remembered he knew someone very close to him with the ability to create and repair objects.

Getting up to grab one of the more intact pillows for Goth to rest on, Palette fished through his contacts until he found the number he wanted. The phone rang three times before a chipper voice answered, "Hey Pal, what's up?"

Palette took a breath to calm himself before replying, "I need help, dad."

***

Word Count: 966