Criminal Intent - Alternate Ending (Forsaken)

... what if Rurik didn't turn around?  

Chapter Warnings: Gun violence, character death, suicide, swearing

The recommended music is 'Who We Want To Be' by Tom Day

***

"You won't get away with this! You took my husband... justice will be done!" the woman screeched. Rurik wrapped his left arm around Lotus' shoulder as he attempted to ignore her.

I won't entertain her tantrum. I've already been proven innocent, she'll just have to get ov-

*BANG*

The gunshot stunned the courtroom into silence, only broken by a pained grunt from his hooded companion.

Time seemed to slow as Lotus crumpled forward. Rurik threw his right arm out to catch him, easing him to the floor. His starry eye lights wavered in disbelief as he took in the hole piercing the smaller skeleton's back, a dark stain spreading from the epicenter.

No... please, no...

*BANG*

Another shot rang out, followed by a thud and screaming, but Rurik had more pressing concerns.

Concerns like the coughing, trembling body in his arms.

"I need a healer over here!" He shouted at no one in particular, knowing how ridiculous the request sounded considering most fell monsters were incapable of healing.

Still, he felt he had to try.

Focusing on the monster in his arms, he shifted them carefully to rest against his left arm and shoulder, softly pleading, "Lotus... Lotus, talk to me, dammit... please..."

The hooded skeleton opened his sockets, his red eye light dilated and fuzzy around the edges, his features radiating discomfort. Tears formed as the small skeleton shakily gasped, "Ru... rik... I... I'm s... sorry..."

Pulling the trembling skeleton into a gentle hug, Rurik shook his skull, nuzzling into their hood and retorting softly, "No, don't apologize. You did nothing wrong. It's my job to protect you and I let you get hurt..."

He registered the words he'd spoken, his anger slowly overriding his grief. He growled, "She hurt you... I'll hurt her... I'll kill that bitch for daring to-!" A cool hand pressed against his right cheek, interrupting his rant.

"Don't...," Lotus choked out, "...d... don't let her... take away... wh... what you... worked s... so hard for..."

Enveloping his companion's hand with his own, Rurik glared at the shooter only for shock to take its place. The woman laid in a pool of blood... someone else had already done the job for him. His rage drained away, having nothing left to direct it towards.

No one but me...

"Rurik..." Lotus' expression was a mix of pain and anger as he softly admonished, "...that look... stop it... it's... not your f... fault... I... I don't blame you... so stop it..."

Rurik smiled dolefully down at his partner before nodding solemnly.

Leave it to Lotus to know just what to say...

Lotus' face relaxed a bit as he asked, "Rurik...? C... Can you... promise m... me something...?"

"What is it?" Rurik questioned, leaning in close so he could pick up the smaller's faint voice.

"I know it's s... selfish... but please... promise me... you won't... fall b... back into... old habits... when... I-" the injured monster flinched, coughing and gasping before he could finish the sentence.