My Fine Furred Friend - Chapter 1

Happy early Halloween, have a vampire AU~

***

"Hmm... this is good, but a little more would be better," Palette mumbled to himself, searching for more wood to add to the sizable kindling pile in his arms. The weather was getting cooler, so he needed to stock up on wood and kindling to keep his fireplace going before the winter season came and made dry wood hard to find.

As he entered a small clearing, a figure in a white hooded cloak and a bright red tattered scarf caught his attention. They appeared to be drawing in the dirt with a stick.

No one lives in the woods as far as I know, and I know everyone in the village... yet I don't know anyone that wears this type of clothing. They can't be from around here.

"Hello? Who are you?" Palette asked, tilting his head slightly. The figure dropped the stick, staggering to their feet in surprise. They looked to be a skeleton, reaching about shoulder height to him from what he could see, their hood drooping just enough to hide their eyes.

"N... no one... I... I was..," the boy stammered, his voice muffled by the scarf covering the lower half of his face as he slowly backed up.

"Hey, are you okay?" the taller skeleton proceeded forward as they spoke, oblivious to the stranger's panic as he said, "If you're lost, I can help you find your way to the village."

"That's a... alright, I just n... need to-!" the boy said, moving away with each step Palette took until he'd backed himself into a tree trunk. His hands started to tremble against his chest and his breathing became ragged.

He reached out to the small skeleton, worry written on his face, "Hey, are you-" The small boy's skull shot up at the close proximity of his voice and time seemed to stand still.

A red left eye. No one has red eyes, except maybe a boss monster or...

"... a vampire?" Palette whispered, his starry eye lights dilating.

A sudden wind whipped around Palette. He guarded his face with his arms, only catching a whooshing sound and a flash of white disappearing into the trees above him.

"A vampire... I just met a vampire...," he muttered in disbelief, "this... this is... this is awesome!"

Palette jumped up and down, laughing like a maniac at his luck.

I've always heard the stories the villagers would tell about the terrors of vampires, but they're all so superstitious I can hardly believe half of them. I'd rather confirm things for myself than take someone else's word for it. And here I am, meeting a real live vampire!

He searched the trees fervently for the vampire... if the rustling above him was any indication, they were still present, which meant he could ask all his burning questions!

Before he could figure out what to say first, a small whooshing noise was heard a little to Palette's upper right side. It was followed by the slight creak of a branch, the rustling of leaves, and a hesitant voice, "... You... you're not... scared?"

"Nope," the monster answered in a chipper tone, "I've always wanted to meet a vampire, there's so much I'd like to know! If anything, I'm really excited!"

"You're... not going to attack me?" the boy continued slowly, still hidden within the trees, "Even though I'm a vampire?"

"Wasn't planning on it, no," Palette replied while shaking his head, "As long as you don't try to hurt me, I don't see a reason to fight with you."

There was a brief moment of silence. Palette was worried the vampire would refuse when they suddenly called out, "P... prove it! Your weapon... the one on your belt, throw it away! I won't come down and answer any of your questions otherwise."