Misery Loves Company - Chapter 1

I just wanted to take the time to say thanks for everyone's patience. Finding time to write around college classes and work has been a juggling act, but you guys (and girls) have always been really cool about it. Without further ado, let's get to the story~

Chapter Warnings: Depression

***

Palette was in his room, scaling the protagonist in one of his video games up a series of platforms while avoiding enemies when he was distracted by the buzzing of his phone. The momentary lapse in concentration was just enough for an enemy to get a strike in, knocking him into the spikes below and prompting a game over.

Scowling as he was taken to the enemy selection screen, the skeleton dropped the controller onto the ground and got up from his pillow seat to answer his phone. His mood improved when he noticed the interruption was a text from his best friend Goth.

Goth: Can I come over?

Smiling, Palette confirmed he could come over and asked if he wanted to play video games or do something else. Before he sent the message, he looked out the window. Seeing it was already dark outside, he backspaced and changed the message.

Palette: Of course! I was playing video games, are you planning on spending the night?

Waiting for a response, he was surprised to hear the doorbell ring instead. Shrugging his shoulders and pocketing his phone, he hopped down the stairs and swung open the door to greet his companion with a bright smile, "Hey Goth! You got he-"

Palette's smile dropped as he took in Goth's appearance. The small skeleton's shoulders were hunched and tense as if he were expecting an attack, his arms held in a guarded position at his waist where his hands were clutching his phone. His hood and scarf prevented the taller from seeing his face, but his minute trembling combined with his posture hinted at his emotional state.

"Goth, is something wrong?" Palette asked carefully, stepping off the porch to meet the smaller at the bottom of the steps.

As he got closer, Goth rambled, "I'm sorry, I came here without thinking since I remember you saying I could come over any time, but then I realized you might be busy or asleep so I sent you a text to make sure it was alright. I know it's late, but I... I don't want to be alone. Please, I... I...."

Goth's skull lifted as he trailed off and Palette could only think of one word to describe the empty expression that seemed to be fighting tears: haunted.

Wrapping the smaller in a tight hug and pulling them to his chest, Palette draped his skull over their shoulder as he said, "You don't need to apologize, Goth. I said you were welcome any time and I meant it. Do you want to talk about what's bothering you?"

Goth buried his skull in the taller skeleton's chest and whimpered, wrapping his arms around them with one free hand gripping the back of their jacket. Palette tried again, "A distraction, then?" He exhaled in relief when he felt his companion nod in confirmation.

Pulling out of the hug and grasping Goth's free hand, Palette led the way into the house and upstairs to his room. Snatching a pillow off his bed, he tossed it to the floor next to the one he'd been using earlier and crouched down by his T.V. stand to rifle around inside. He triumphantly pulled out a second controller, plugging it in and handing it over as Goth sat quietly on the offered pillow.

As Palette joined him, picking up his own controller and exiting to the main menu to see if there was any co-op or versus mode, Goth stammered softly, "Is... is there something... with less... less shooting we can play instead?"

The skeleton paused, turning to observe Goth's mutely disturbed expression for a moment before saying, "Sure, I think I have a few like that." Scooting back over to the stand, Palette rummaged around until he pulled out a game case with a small brown yarn character holding a globe, "How about this? It's a puzzle platformer and you can even customize your character."

Goth smiled weakly, letting out a sigh of relief, "That sounds much better."

Pulling out the disk and switching it out in the console, he tossed the other game back in the stand before scooting back over to his pillow. Button mashing past the intro screen into co-op play, the pair were taken to what appeared to be a decorated box in space where two brown yarn characters stood.

As Palette began to explain the character customization menu, a rumbling sound interrupted him. He looked up at Goth, who was now blushing brightly and hunching into his scarf. Cocking his skull, the taller skeleton asked, "Was that you? Are you hungry?"

"I'm sorry," the smaller apologized, shrinking into himself in clear embarrassment, "I wasn't feeling up to eating before, but I probably should have tried anyway..."

"No, it's fine," Palette hastily reassured him, "I haven't had anything to eat either, so I can make us both something real quick while you choose your character's costume. Do bagel bites sound good?"

"Yeah, thank you and sorry," Goth replied sheepishly, staring at the controller in his hands.

"Like I said, it's fine. I'll be a few minutes downstairs while you figure out your outfit. If you need any help up here, just yell," Palette beamed, leaving the room and making his way to the refrigerator in the kitchen.

Pulling out the box and setting a dozen bites on a paper towel in the microwave, he pulled out his phone to play on it while he waited for the food to heat up. He barely managed to unlock the phone when it began vibrating in his palm.

Saving the phone from falling out of his hands and onto the ground, he was surprised to see Goth's dad on the caller ID. Answering the call and bringing the phone to his skull, Palette's greeting was immediately cut off by Reaper frantically shouting, "Tell me Goth's with ya!"

***

Word Count: 977