A Little Problem - Chapter 4 (End)

Goth woke to a stifling warmth surrounding him. 

Too hot... it's too hot...

Cracking open a heavy socket, a blur of white and gold filled his vision. "I think he's waking up!" they whispered excitedly.

"Goth?" another voice said.

That's... Palette? No... no! I have to get away... it's still not safe...!

The small skeleton began to whine, struggling weakly against the blanket wrapped around him. Something fell from his forehead, but he was too focused on his escape to care.

His squirming didn't do much though, since he was trapped by the blanket tangling his limbs and a pair of arms grasping him. The overbearing heat didn't help, quickly sapping what little strength he could muster.

Goth cried, "No... I... I'm... ngh... you... you're not... you c... can't..."

The taller skeleton grimaced in sympathy, tightening his grip slightly on the bundle in his arms despite his friend's protests. He spoke in a soft tone, "Easy Goth, it's okay. We figured out a solution, you don't have to worry about your power anymore. You won't be able to hurt me, it's okay."

Goth slowed his movements, panting and gasping from the effort while gazing blearily up at Palette, "H... how...? I... I'm still..."

Dream gently replied at an equally low volume, "I figured that monster food can replace the energy being drained, so as long as he has something to eat or drink, you can touch Palette without having to worry. It looks like it's working so far, at least.

"And if it turns out to not be enough, Palette can back off until he gets his energy back... right?"

Palette gulped at his mom's tone that dared refusal, nodding rapidly, "Yes, mom."

Goth's hazy eye light shifted toward the table, littered with an assortment of food, snacks, and a large pitcher of green liquid. He absently noted that it was dark outside as he shifted to scrutinize the skeleton holding him. 

Palette doesn't seem tired or dizzy... maybe they found a solution out after all...

A low growl had Palette and Dream staring at the heated, and apparently hungry, skeleton.

"I'll bring out some soup for him," the parent chuckled, standing up and walking away from the pair still sitting on the couch.

Within minutes, Dream returned with a folding tray holding a steaming bowl of golden yellow soup with bits of yellow, green, and orange floating in it. He set up the legs of the tray on both sides of his son's lap, leaving Palette free to scoop a bit of the liquid and bring it toward Goth's mouth.

Goth's face flushed deeper, staring at the spoon in front of him.

Palette's trying to feed me like a toddler... though I probably do look like one at the moment and I doubt I would be able to feed myself with how heavy my body feels. Even if I wasn't wrapped up, I would probably make a mess.

Letting out a shaky huff, he reluctantly opened his mouth, letting Palette feed him. He gulped down the broth, opening his mouth again once the spoon returned.

It tastes good. I didn't even realize how sore my throat felt until now...

Palette muttered gentle encouragements as the bowl slowly emptied, making sure to eat as well at his mom's occasional prompting.

Once the soup was finished, Goth sank into the blanket surrounding him and let out a sleepy yawn. He idly felt something cool being placed against his forehead as his eye sockets slid closed, letting the heat and darkness consume him.

---

The small skeleton groaned as he shifted against the pillow propping him up.

"Goth?" Palette questioned from nearby. He was met with a warm smile framed in morning sunlight as he blinked his sockets open in response, "Are you feeling better?"

Goth nodded, still feeling groggy. Palette took off the damp washcloth and felt his forehead, grinning wider at the lack of heat radiating from his friend's skull.

"Since you're feeling better, do you want to continue the story we were reading yesterday?" Palette asked. Goth nodded, and the taller skeleton unwrapped the blanket a little to give his friend room to adjust himself as he retrieved the book. He sat down once again with the other leaning tentatively into his side to see the story. 

Another three hours were spent with Palette softly reading aloud, occasionally taking a sip of tea or a bite of food while Goth drifted in and out next to him.

Dream came through to check on things every so often, but he more or less left the pair to their reading.

The lull was eventually broken by the sound of Palette's phone going off.

Setting down the book, Palette reached for his phone, swiping the screen and holding it up to his skull, "Mister Geno, hi! Any good news?"

Goth watched as he nodded along to whatever his mom was saying. He felt his hopes rise as Palette's expression brightened.

Palette hung up after giving assurances and goodbyes, directing his attention to the monster next to him, "Mister Geno said the antidote's ready, he said they tested it on a plant and it's not showing any negative effects. He'll be here in a couple minutes to get you." Goth's eye light lit up in excitement as the taller sat up to prepare for Geno's arrival.

As Palette put the book back on the shelf, a knock sounded at the door. Geno had arrived to pick up Goth. Palette opened the door for him, the older skeleton laughing once he took in the state of the living room, "Wow, you guys look like you had a party in here."

"Heh, yeah... we definitely had an interesting time," Palette laughed, trying to hide the nervousness in his voice. 

Goth put on his best innocent smile.

We both know how mom gets when it comes to anything involving me, so neither of us wants to be the one to tell him. If mom wants to believe we had a party, I certainly won't be the one to correct him.

Goth pulled himself from the blanket wrapped around him and scooted off the couch, stumbling a bit on the landing. Geno scooped him up, chuckling, "Oops... a little tired, are we? Partied a little too hard last night?" 

The small skeleton nodded quickly, latching onto the excuse.

"Thank you Palette, I hope Goth wasn't any trouble," Geno said, turning to the young skeleton.

The other hastily replied, "Oh, he was no trouble at all! I love having him over!"

Goth blushed at his crush's words, burying his face into Geno's scarf in embarrassment. The older skeleton patted his son's back in amusement, "I think that's our cue to head out. Thank you again, Palette."

Saying their farewells, Geno turned and teleported into swaptale, leaving Palette behind at home. "You really do look tired. After we give you the antidote, you're going straight to bed, alright?" Geno tutted.

Goth nodded, more than willing to rest after the day he had. As he spied the chaos of Undyne's lab, the small skeleton recalled the mess left behind on the table and couch, blanching slightly.

It's going to take quite some time to clean up the mess of wrappers and food... sorry, Palette.

***

Word Count: 1,211