Criminal Intent - Chapter 3 (End)

Chapter Warning: Gon violence, character death, swearing 

***

*BANG*

Pain streaked across Rurik's left cheek as he pulled Lotus down into a crouch with him, wrapping his arms protectively around him and using the bulk of his body to shield his cloaked companion from the woman.

*BANG*

Both skeletons flinched as another shot went off, followed by a thud and screaming

Both skeletons flinched as another shot went off, followed by a thud and screaming. Someone called for an ambulance, but Rurik had more pressing concerns. 

Concerns such as the silent, trembling body in his grasp.

Fearing the worst had happened, he frantically whispered, "Lotus?! Lotus, are you hurt?! Say something, dammit! Oh stars, please-"

"I... I'm...," Lotus stuttered, taking a gulp of air and looking up at Rurik with a quivering red eye light, "I'm alright... j... just..."

"Your face!" the smaller gasped, his fear completely forgotten as he reached up to the mark running across the other skeleton's left cheek. Before he could actually touch it though, he withdrew his hand. His eye light darted around as if only now realizing their surroundings.

His face morphed from worry to anger as he pulled himself from his companion's grip to glare at the shooter. Rurik smirked.

Always a little spitfire.

The skeleton's fury was a short-lived as the pair discovered the woman had already been dealt with, having been shot by another officer shortly after opening fire.

Rurik sighed as he stood and said, "Come on, we're done here. Let's get these stupid bands off already. I think it's starting to wear a hole in my arm."

Wrapping an arm around the smaller's shoulder, the skeleton flagged down the bailiff so he could escort them to get their bands removed and collect Rurik's possessions. He smiled at the way Lotus relaxed into his side, letting his partner lead the way.

---

"Ridiculous! All that bullshit because some nimrod didn't check their suspects properly! A waste of time, money, and resources...," Lotus ranted from his seat on Rurik's lap as the skeleton listened half-heartedly, his thoughts wandering.

Apparently, the whole reason he'd been suspected in the first place was due to the security camera catching him shortly before the murder in combination with a cloth left behind at the scene containing a marrow stain they matched to him.

Guess it fell out of my pocket when I bought the flowers...

His acquittal was a combination of Lotus' testimony and, stupidy enough, the realization that there were fingerprints at the crime scene. Since Rurik was a skeleton lacking skin, it was impossible for him to leave prints. It was a case of biased officers jumping to conclusions and arresting the first possible suspect they had.

Lotus' voice drifted back through, "... don't know how you can be so calm, I'm livid right now! I should..."

Rurik was glad the small skeleton had found something to distract him from his own thoughts. That Flucker guy had managed to dig up some pretty dark thoughts trapped within smaller's mind, making him question his self-worth once again.

Luckily, some well-placed affection and words, along with getting angry over that shitshow of a trial on Rurik's behalf, beat back the inner demons and allowed Lotus to relax. Mostly.

"Why aren't you saying anything?! You should be...," Lotus paused, his sockets creasing as he hesitantly questioned his partner's silence, "...Rurik?"  

Rurik chuckled lowly as he held Lotus close, feeling lightheaded from the day's events and what could have happened.

How lucky can I get? Some crazy bitch shot at Lotus, and not only missed her target but only managed to knick me on the face! I'm so... so lucky...

Rurik tightened his grip on Lotus, producing a small squeak from the smaller. He curled up in a ball around them, nuzzling his uninjured cheek against their hooded skull as he whispered, "How close did I come to almost losing you again? How close?"

Tears flowed freely down the taller skeleton's face and onto his partner's hood, and he did nothing to stop them. Now that they were behind closed doors, they were allowed to properly express themselves without the judgment of the world.

Lotus wasn't the only one shaken up today.  

The hooded skeleton lifted his arms, snaking them around Rurik's neck to pull him into a hug. Pressing into the taller's chest and closing his sockets, he hummed, "You didn't lose me, and you never will. From the day we met, you've always found a way to save me. Before, now, and always."

Pulling back a bit from the hug, a single eye light met Rurik's starry ones. Lotus smiled as he stated, "I meant it when I said I trust you with my life."

Rurik stared in disbelief before snorting, "Stars, Lotus, you sound so damn cheesy!"

The small skeleton blushed, averting his gaze and pouting with a grumbled, "Shut up..."

As the evening wore on and Lotus fell asleep in his lap, Rurik settled into a more comfortable position. He reveled in his partner's presence, slowly drifting off to the sound of steady breathing and the feeling of warmth resting against his chest as a peaceful smile tugged at the corners of his mouth.

We're happy, we're healthy, and we're safe.

***

So we've seen the good ending, but what if...?

Word Count: 854