Eternal Vow - Chapter 8

"Your dad and Mister Russel seem really close," Palette murmured quietly to his smaller companion as they waited by the tunnel entrance. Russel had been standing guard there along with a junior guard the servant knew by the name of Avery, but the senior guard was now laughing and joking with the elder vampire.

"Russel's a close family friend," Goth clarified, "He's also Cheri's husband and the one that assisted Father in organizing the coven during its first relocation. He's pretty much the closest thing I would have to a godfather."

"Huh...," the taller hummed thoughtfully. That would explain his fussing over Goth's wellbeing when they first met if he held close ties with the young vampire's dad.

Before the conversation could be taken any further, a hush fell over the group as everyone turned to the mouth of the tunnel. Palette took his place a step behind and to the right of Goth as six silhouettes became visible on the other end. A chilling aura fell over the area, forcing a shiver from the skeleton as the group approached with a single figure taking up the lead.

The leader looked to be a tall vampire with long ebony hair tied into a ponytail at his neckline; his black cape occasionally parting to reveal a navy blue dress shirt and black pants underneath. To his back left was a woman with matching hair tucked into a navy blue hooded cape coat that fluttered like a skirt around long pale legs and dark brown ankle-length heeled boots. Behind them were what appeared to be two blood servants carrying luggage and two lightly armored guards bringing up the rear.

Each one had red eyes, though the leader's gaze seemed to be the only one that unsettled the young servant. They seemed like the most likely owner of the oppressive aura.

Palette covertly took a slow, steady breath as Reaper stepped forward, "Greetings, my friend. I hope the journey treated you kindly." Gesturing next to him, he presented his son, "I believe you remember my son, Goth?"

"It did indeed; and yes, I remember him well," the vampire, presumably Lord Arnest, confirmed; bringing the woman forward, "It has been an age since you have met my Daria, has it not?"

Reaper smiled, "Yes, she was such a tiny thing when I last laid sockets on her; you've raised your daughter beautifully."

"Thank you, but let us not linger too long on idle chatter. Where might our servants deposit our belongings while we convene?" Lord Arnest inquired.

"We have set up accommodations at our residence. Cheri, please show our guests the way," the elder instructed, receiving a quiet acknowledgment as she led the two blood servants away. He turned on his heels, he gestured for everyone to follow him, "The meeting hall is right this way."

The group began their quiet procession down the path as Palette tried to calm his racing soul despite the pressure permeating the area. Looking toward his companion, Goth's sockets were a bit furrowed, but the aura didn't seem to affect the young vampire or the rest of their company as much as him.

He was grateful when Reaper finally spoke up, "Lord Arnest, could I trouble you to rein in your aura for the time being; your countenance is overwhelming some of our present company."

The vampire's gaze swept over the group before settling on the skeleton. Palette offered a courteous smile, only to be met with an icy cold glare that flashed to a pleasant smile the next instant; the pressure vanishing without a trace. He wondered if he imagined it as their gaze returned to Reaper "I apologize, Lord Death. I have grown so used to my own company, I forget myself sometimes."

Reaper waved away the apology, his smile twitching at the name, "No harm was done, let us continue on."

---

Palette shot a sympathetic smile at Goth's look of resignation toward the glass of blood wine as he finished pouring the drinks and replaced the bottle in the ice bucket set on the table. With his task done, he went to stand against the wall as tradition demanded.

"I trust this stock is of pure blood?" the visiting lord commented, swirling his glass of blood wine experimentally.

Reaper confirmed, "Only the best for our honored guests." The woman, Daria, took a small sip, smiling genially in approval. Goth mimicked the gesture; and while the servant couldn't see his master's face, he assumed their distaste for the beverage didn't show judging by the lack of reaction.

"Excellent," Lord Arnest praised, tasting the drink before continuing, "Let us get down to business. As you know, we have traveled from our coven with the prospect of forming an alliance. The mortals have become much bolder over the decades and I would prefer to not be caught unprepared."

"Are you in need of relocation?" Reaper asked in genuine concern, "If you require assistance, I would be glad to offer some of our most knowledgeable people to aid in a swift transition."

The other vampire laughed, "We are not in such dire peril; I am merely taking precautions to prevent a disaster."

The knowledge allowed the skeletal vampire to relax, "I'm relieved to hear that. An alliance would be beneficial to us as well as it would open up potential trade outside our own territory."

"Indeed; from what I have heard, your community is vibrant and proficient in regards to agriculture," the lord noted, "I would propose we join our groups through the marriage of my lovely daughter to your son."

Palette had to force his mouth shut to keep from expressing his surprise at the offer. Goth, however, reacted for them both as the small vampire choked out, "What?!"

He was immediately chastised by his parent's stern words and expression, "Mind your manners, Goth." Settling himself, Reaper apologized, "Forgive my son, Lord Arnest. While I agree that would be the quickest solution, it is a sudden one to thrust upon them. I believe the decision should rest with the concerned parties; what does your daughter have to say regarding the matter?"

Daria spoke up in a silky voice, "I would not mind a union; I have already accepted the idea and have traveled here with my dearest father solely for this purpose."

All eyes turned to Goth for his decision. The small vampire looked around the table, his eye light darting toward Palette for a moment, flicking down to his lap then to the tabletop. His face smoothed out as he raised his skull and said, "I accept the arrangement; I would be honored to wed your daughter, Lord Arnest."

Palette felt like his soul had stuttered to a halt, convinced he had somehow misheard the young vampire; but with the way the visiting lord and his daughter smiled, he knew he had heard his master perfectly.

Goth had actually agreed to an arranged marriage.

"Then we shall begin writing up the agreement and making preparations for the ceremony," Reaper nodded in acceptance, "I would suggest the couple be given the opportunity to make each other's acquaintance while we settle the details."

"A grand idea," the lord agreed, smiling at Daria, "You may wander at your leisure, young one; one of our guards shall provide escort."

"Goth, Palette; make sure she enjoys herself and that you all return home before the overhead crystals dim," Reaper instructed as the woman rose to her feet.

"Yes, Father," Goth nodded, standing as well. The pair met at the far end of the table by the door as Daria held out her hand. Goth glanced at the appendage, gingerly holding out his left arm and allowing the woman to slip a willowy arm around the crook of his elbow.

They made their way outside with Palette following on his master's right side and the guard trailing behind the group silently. Daria made small talk as they left the building and meandered the streets, with Goth answering her questions to the best of his ability while peppering in a few questions of his own. As the walk progressed, it even looked as if he was beginning to enjoy himself.

Watching the pair together made Palette's chest ache, though the feeling wasn't one of pain; it was something akin to longing. It confused the skeleton... his master had agreed to the arrangement; this was what they both wanted and Daria seemed like a beautiful, kind, gentle, and graceful woman.

Goth was happy, so why didn't he feel happy?

***

Word Count: 1,424