Sweeter Than Nice Cream (One-shot)

Oh hey, I wrote something short enough to be a one-shot *cough*stilloverathousandwords*cough*

Anyway, only possible warning for this chapter is language because Underfell.

***

Lotus dropped to one knee, his dusty scythe clanging against the concrete. Trying to calm his nerves he inhaled deeply, then exhaled slowly as he took stock of the situation.

The remaining enemies that hadn't been dusted were now fleeing, with Rurik crowing and taunting them in their wake. Rurik seemed no worse for wear, only sporting a nick here and there along with some dirt and dust smudges on his clothes. Meanwhile, Lotus had no visible injuries...he might have landed on his feet wrong at some point, but he was mostly just exhausted from expending so much magic.

Most of the group went after Rurik, but a few targeted him thinking he was the weak link. Luckily, he was more or less able to prove them wrong.

Some got a little too close for comfort, though...

"Had to go and pick a fight on the way home. Had to drag me into it because someone bumped into you," the cloaked skeleton grumbled under his breath.

The hooded monster wouldn't dare say anything to his companion's face, though... he liked all his limbs right where they were, in one piece.

I can seethe all I want though, as long as I don't get caught.

"Come on, Lotus! Move your ass, it's time for dinner and I'm hungry!" Rurik shouted as he hid his favorite knife away in the holster on his belt loop.

The small skeleton staggered quickly to his feet at the command, only to pitch forward once his weight pressed down on his right side. He planted the handle of his scythe into the ground to catch himself, glancing at his traitorous ankle.

Shit, I definitely cracked something. Knowing Rurik, he probably won't care. The only thing he cares about right now is food. 

Hoping to avoid another fight, the small skeleton steeled himself before forcing his weight onto the damaged limb. He hissed lowly through gritted teeth but maintained a mostly neutral expression as he brought himself upright and began advancing toward his partner.

If the taller skeleton noticed anything amiss, he didn't show it as he turned toward home, wordlessly expecting his partner to follow.

For all intents and purposes, Lotus thought he was doing a decent job keeping up without limping or grimacing every time pain lanced up his right leg. Rurik apparently thought different.

"Keep up," he barked, glaring over his shoulder. 

That look brooks no argument.

"Yeah yeah," Lotus grunted, picking up speed despite wanting nothing more than to sit down. He quickly caught up so he was only a step behind at his left side, but he clenched his fists to hide the tremors from the effort it took.

Rurik glanced over at him once more, only to look away again while clicking his tongue. The pair continued on in silence for a couple minutes after that, though Lotus was surprised when the taller skeleton made a left turn at the corner... in the opposite direction of their house.

Confused, but unwilling to question Rurik's motives, Lotus followed his lead.

Where are we going? He couldn't have forgotten the way home... did he get hit on the skull and I didn't notice? I don't see any cracks or blood on him, and he's acting like his normal grumpy self otherwise...

In the middle of his thoughts, Rurik grabbed his upper left arm, forcing him onto a nearby bench. "Wait here," the skeleton growled, walking through a set of sliding doors.

A convenience store? Guess he doesn't want to wait until we get home to eat... at least I get to sit in the meantime.

Leaning over, Lotus lifted his right pant leg to inspect his ankle. Sure enough, he found a small fracture along the tarsal bone where it met his tibia. "Rubbing against the joint, wonderful," he groused softly as he let his pant leg fall back into place and sat up straight.

There was nothing to do about it for now since he was trash at healing magic and didn't have any monster food or medical supplies on him. He would have to suck it up until he got some time at home to deal with it later.

I wonder what I should make for supper... I'll probably just pop some leftovers in the microwave so I can deal with my ankle quicker. Hopefully, Rurik won't give me shit about it.

As if summoned by the thought, Rurik appeared through the doors once more.

Time to go, I guess.

As Lotus made to stand up, the taller skeleton shoved him back, taking a seat next to him afterward. Before he could verbally express his annoyance at being shoved, he felt something hit his lap.

A nice cream bar? Aren't these supposed to be really expensive?

He stared at the item in his lap, trying to puzzle out why it was there. Lotus jumped when Rurik snapped, "Eat it before it melts." He then proceeded to rip the wrapper off one of his own and take a large bite out of it.

Lotus sat in stunned silence, his eye light darting between the treat and his companion.

Rurik got me magic food? Am I being tested? Poisoned? Drugged? ... No, he wouldn't spend that kind of money on a test. Besides, if he wanted to kill me or drug me, he would be more direct about it. He's also stronger than I am, especially right now, so he could easily overpower me if he wanted to-

Hearing another rumble of warning from the skeleton, Lotus hastily picked up the nice cream bar and tore the wrapper at the seam. It was slightly melted, but still solid enough to eat.

Taking an experimental lick, his red eye light sparked at the sweet taste. Taking a bite was even better as the warmth of magic drifted through his body. Eventually, the warmth reached his ankle, which he didn't even realize had been throbbing, where it seemed to absorb the pain and soothe the crack in his tarsal.

While he wanted to savor the taste, Lotus knew Rurik would get impatient if he took too long. Munching on the treat at a moderate pace, he examined the sticky paper.

Instead of finding the nutrition facts to peruse, he found a small bit of writing peeking out from the inside.

Unfolding the wrapper, he couldn't help but blush and sputter, nearly dropping the rest of his nice cream as he read the message:

'Love yourself! I love you!'

Glancing over to Rurik, the skeleton was already leaning over to see what the fuss was about. He read the wrapper and blinked. Twice. Then proceeded to open and read his own wrapper's message.

A moment went by where nothing was said or done.

Before Lotus could think to ask what it said, the taller skeleton stood up and tossed the wrapper and stick in the garbage, muttering, "Bunch of bullshit."

... Is he blushing? And he didn't deny what my wrapper said!

He turned to a shellshocked Lotus, yelling, "Finish up and let's go, we still have to eat dinner!"

The small monster downed the rest of his nice cream in one bite and stood up, relieved to not feel pain in his ankle anymore. Rurik watched him, nodding his head as if confirming something, before turning to walk in the direction of their house.

Making his way to the trash can, Lotus chose to keep the message, tucking the paper into his cloak pocket while tossing the stick.

Feeling curious, he peeked into the can, finding Rurik's crinkled wrapper at the top. He smiled, finding the text quite appropriate:

'Is this as sweet as you?'

"Move it already!" his companion barked. The small skeleton hurried to join him, an automatic answer forming in his mind.

Not even close.

***

Word Count: 1,295