Back to the Start - Chapter 7 (End)

Since I'm going to be spending most of tomorrow traveling, you guys get the final chapter a day early~

***

"Mom, I don't think it's all going to fit," Goth mumbled as they all watched Geno maneuver baking racks around in the oven to keep the all of the prepared food warm for the fourth time.

"Nonsense; I made it fit last year and I can make it fit this year," the parent denied, shifting a rack up to the top notch to hold the smaller dishes.

Palette leaned over, whispering to his boyfriend with a smirk, "I'm guessing this is where you get your stubbornness from?"

"Probably," the smaller groaned softly, leaning into him as his mom continued shifting things around.

Before Geno could test out the newest layout, the doorbell rang. Without looking up, Geno called out, "Goth, can you get the door? It's probably Xahji."

"Alright," Goth nodded, straightening himself and taking a breath as Geno began pulling food from the oven. 

"Good luck," Palette whispered, pecking a kiss on his boyfriend's forehead before the small skeleton made his exit with a mousy 'thank you'. Not wanting to just stand around, the artist asked, "Do you want me to grab something?"

"I like your enthusiasm," Geno praised, placing the bowl of succotash on the counter, "Could set out the trivets and place settings on the dining table?"

The young skeleton blinked, at a loss as he said, "Um... what are trivets?"

"You put them under hot dishes," Shino stated, hopping off the counter, "I can help and show you where everything is."

"We should only need about eight of them; two in the center for the turkey and the rest spread out... and nine place settings," Geno instructed as he lifted the mashed potatoes onto one of the burners. A squeal echoed down the hallway.

"Sounds like Goth doesn't have to worry about Xahji being upset," Reaper commented from where he was carving the turkey at the kitchen table.

Palette followed Shino into the dining room with a spring in his step; happy that another reunion seemed to be going well. The younger skeleton began unfolding one side of the table, indicating where each item in the china cabinet was located while repositioning the table in the center of the room.

As he rounded one end of the table to gather the items, he caught sight of a female skeleton in a long black coat with light purple hair containing yellow streaks pulled into a loose bun and an inverted heart-shaped glitch over her right socket. She had one arm wrapped around Goth, rubbing his skull with her free hand as if she were ruffling hair while wearing a cheeky grin. A taller male skeleton with green lines trailing up his cheeks and connecting between his sockets stood next to them in a dark green jacket and black slacks with his arms crossed and a smirk on his face; saying something that made the smaller's cheeks puff out as the female laughed.

Having an idea who the two new faces were but eager for introductions nonetheless, Palette retrieved the trivets and set them out across the table; joined by Shino soon after in distributing the placemats, plates, and silverware onto nine spots. Just as the last place setting was set out, Geno and Reaper entered with a dish in each hand.

"Thank you Shino; thank you Palette. If you two can start getting everyone into the dining room, that would be great," Geno requested, setting down the bowl of creamed corn as Reaper set a large platter of turkey slices in the center.

"I'll get Raven and Blueprint Onii-chan!" Shino chimed, racing out of the room before anyone else could say a word.

Palette snorted as he took the opening leading directly into the foyer. "Hey Goth, Mi- Geno's having everyone gather in the dining room," he said as the three present skeletons turned to him.