A Brewtiful Beginning - Chapter 4

Anyone who knows me knows this kind of thing always happens eventually.

Chapter Warnings: Violence, swearing

***

"Oh geez... their flag's up again," A sandy-haired man named Henderson muttered before refocusing on the strawberry mixer he was preparing.

"That's the third time now, right?" Palette asked quietly from where he was working on the register, "Does this kind of thing happen often?"

Palette had been working for a little more than a week, but this was his first time seeing a rude customer in action. Goth sighed, placing the order he had finished on his tray, "Not often, but it does happen. Don't worry, I'll deal with it."

Henderson breathed out, relief plain on his face, "Thanks, I'm really no good with those types."

"Get 'im Goth," Claire cheered softly as the small skeleton rounded the counter, dropping off the items on his tray before making his way to the problem table.

Putting on his best smile, Goth asked, "Is there a problem, sir?"

"Yeah," the man groused, his younger son sinking into the chair across from him, "the food tastes like crap and the coffee's too hot."

The skeleton's eye light took in the half-eaten coffee cakes, the almost empty berry mixer, and the nearly finished sandwich matching the one the man had complained had a short black hair in it earlier. Even though he was the only one currently in the shop with hair matching it, they still remade the sandwich in an attempt to placate him. Goth maintained his pleasant facade, "I'm sorry to hear that. We can remake the sandwich one more time and I can put some ice in the coffee to cool it down if you want."

"Don't bother, I'm not paying for such shitty service," The man snarled.

This stunk of a dine and dash attempt, but Goth took a breath through his nasal cavity before responding, "I can certainly refund you for the coffee, sir, but I'm afraid I won't be able to comp the food and mixer since you've consumed most of it."

"What?! It wasn't even good, this is robbery!" The man yelled.

"Dad, please stop...," the boy whined.

The man rounded on his son, "No, someone needs to put this little shit in his place and teach him how to respect his elders!"

Goth frowned at the jab. Despite his looks, the skeleton was well into adulthood and likely only a few years younger than the unruly customer.

Stealthily moving a hand behind his back, he positioned it in the shape of a phone, a silent signal to get Mona as he attempted to diffuse the situation, "Sir, please calm down. As per our policy, we are only able to refund food and drinks that haven't been consumed or have been minimally consumed. Only your coffee would qualify under these circumstances."

"No, I demand compensation for our inconvenience! I want to see your manager!" The man boomed, slamming his fist on the table. The customers at the next table looked uncomfortable.

Goth raised his hands in a soothing gesture, "She will be here in a moment, sir, but I'm afraid she'll tell you the sa-"

"To hell with your policy!" The man bellowed, grabbing his mug and hurling it at the monster. Goth recoiled with a gasp as the cup shattered against his right arm, showering him with hot liquid. His red scarf managed to save the lower half of his face, but his exposed cheek, temple, and hand took the full brunt of the assault.

The monster heard a chorus of shouts and the sound of hurried footsteps from behind the counter as he staggered away from the broken ceramic laying at his feet and crumpled to his knees. The burns were agonizing; more so once the liquid seeped through the sleeve onto his arm, but the skeleton hunched over, gritting his teeth to keep from crying out.