Criminal Intent - Chapter 2

I asked people on Wattpad to help me come up with a fitting name for the cross-examiner, and out of everyone, I chose Underlover_2017's suggestion (probably not for the reason they expected... because I'm an adult with a juvenile sense of humor, laughing at swears vaguely disguised as names.)

Also, I was stuck on this chapter for quite a while wading through the tedious process that is a court trial and how to write out the scenario the way I wanted it... and even now, I feel like I've only scratched the surface of how it actually works.

***

Rurik was about ready to blow by the time he retook his seat from the witness stand. Sitting down, he took a deep breath, held it for four seconds, exhaled slowly, and repeated the process until he felt his anger begin to ebb away.

The cross-examiner is an absolute jackass! He spent half the time asking roundabout, if not flat-out goading questions and even mispronounced my name! That prick would be decked out on the floor by now if it weren't for my lawyer's warnings of the guy's reputation and my breathing exercises... the judge not being a dick helped.

"The defense calls Lotus Afterdeath to the stand," the judge boomed into the silent courtroom. There was the brief sound of shuffling before the door in the half-wall separating the trial from the spectators was opened to let Lotus through.

He strode forward with an air of confidence, glancing at Rurik with a reassuring smile as he passed by, his slightly wavering eye light the only sign that tipped the cuffed skeleton off to his partner's nervousness.

As he kept walking, Rurik noticed a familiar black band with a blinking red light around the small skeleton's left upper arm, nearly blending into his cloak's fabric...

Lotus isn't guilty of anything... so why the hell is he wearing a suppressor band?! If a fight breaks out, he won't be able to defend himself!

The small skeleton hoisted himself up onto the chair behind the stand, hands clenched tightly in his lap. His nervousness took on a whole new meaning.

Lotus relies heavily on his magic to protect himself, he's not nearly as physically strong as me. If anyone tries anything while he's wearing that band, he's as good as dust.

Dammit Lotus, what are you thinking?!

Rurik's knuckles popped, his hands clenching into tight fists. Before he could stand up and announce his outrage, a hand settled on his shoulder. Looking up at his lawyer, Will Shields, he was silently shaking his head with a grim expression.

With the message sent, the man stood and approached Lotus, clearing his throat before beginning his spiel, "Can you please state your name for the record."

"Lotus Afterdeath," the small skeleton answered curtly.

"What is your relation to the defendant?" the Shields continued.

"I'm his housemate and... his boyfriend," he said, blushing profusely at the last part.

Shit, why does Lotus have to be so damn adorable?

The questions continued along the same vein, detailing his knowledge about who he knew Rurik to be. Eventually, the defense lawyer took his seat beside Rurik and the cross-examination began.

"The prosecution calls on Mister Bruce Flucker for cross-examination," the judge announced.

The man in question stood, crossing the distance between his table and the stand where Lotus sat in three swift strides, coming to stop before his prey.