The Silver Lining - Chapter 2 (End)

So I kind of got sidetracked and forgot to update this alongside the Tumblr queue... oops

***

Arriving at their destination, Goth was relieved when Palette successfully fished out his own keys.

After dropping off their shoes by the door and bookbags by the couch, Palette wasted no time leading the other to his room, heading over to his drawers to pull out two pairs of dry clothes.

Even with the umbrella, the pair were still fairly damp from the waist down.

Palette changed in his room while Goth went to the bathroom to change once he was given a pair of pajamas. Palette walked out of his room in a long-sleeve white shirt and one of his favorite pairs of pajama bottoms decorated in a rainbow of exploding firework patterns. 

Finding that Goth was still in the bathroom, Palette hopped down the stairs to get started on the hot chocolate.

Not even a minute later, he heard shuffling in the doorway as he set the kettle on the stovetop. Goth had on a similar shirt to his own, though the smaller's pajama bottoms sported white stars set against a gray background.

They look kind of baggy on him... good thing the bottoms have a drawstring.

Smiling at the small skeleton, he called out, "You can put your clothes in the dryer with mine, they should be ready by the time your parents arrive. I'll join you once the hot chocolate's done."

The skeleton hummed to himself as he listened to the rustling of clothes and the sound of a zipper. Goth was most likely depositing his clothes in the laundry room and pulling out the books they needed for their homework if he had to hazard a guess.

Once the kettle started whistling, Palette plucked it off the stove and poured the hot liquid into the two mugs holding chocolate powder mix. He stopped two-thirds of the way on Goth's since the small skeleton didn't like his drink too hot, filling it the rest of the way with cold water before sprinkling marshmallows into both drinks.

He walked into the living room with both mugs, setting Goth's down next to them. The small skeleton smiled up at him, setting down his pencil to reach for the cup. 

Palette felt his soul leap as Goth's eye light lit up on the first sip of his drink. Setting his own cup on the table and retrieving his bag, he peeked over his friend's shoulder to see their progress, letting out a low whistle, "You're already that far ahead? Man, you're smart!"

"Not really, it's because I pay attention in class instead of doodling," Goth teased lightly, receiving a sheepish chuckle from the taller skeleton in return.

As Palette began digging out his materials, the lights flickered. Both monsters looked up, then at each other as the power gave out, bathing them in darkness. 

"Guess homework's out," Goth lamented, "at this rate, we'll have to go in early tomorrow to finish everything."

"Hang on," Palette said, getting up and bumping around in the dark until he reached a closet, searching in there. Finding the candles, he felt his way over to the kitchen, carefully digging through a drawer so he wouldn't hurt himself by accident.

Within minutes, a small scented candle illuminated the darkness from the kitchen.

Walking carefully over to the table, Palette set it down along with three more and proceeded to light the rest. The table and surrounding area became bathed in a warm orange glow. "Now we can finish our work," he said triumphantly. Goth nodded in agreement as he shifted his papers closer to the light.

Goth was able to complete his assignments first, given his head start. After he put his materials away, he scooted closer to Palette to help him out.

As Goth leaned forward to point out an equation, his hand brushed against his companion's. He blushed at the contact, but Palette had a much different reaction.

"Your hand's like an ice cube... and your face is flushed! Why didn't you tell me you were feeling cold?" he exclaimed, whipping around the table to open a drawer set inside it.

"I'm not cold, really, I-!" Goth tried to deny, only to have a large blanket thrown over him. As his head popped out, Palette rejoined him, pulling the blanket around himself as well and scooting in close.

"There, nice and toasty!" he chirped as he returned to his homework, "Now what were you saying earlier?"

Goth took on a blank expression that seemed at odds with his flushed cheeks, but he quickly bounced back as he pointed to the book, "Oh, um... I was showing you that the equation here can help you solve the problem."

---

Setting down his pencil and shutting his book, Palette raised his arms in the air to stretch out the kinks. 

Now that our homework's done, we can have fun while waiting for Goth's parents!

Already brainstorming the various activities they could do since the lights were still out, he turned to ask his companion for ideas. Instead, he found his friend was propped up on folded arms against the table and fast asleep. His starry eye lights sparkled and his soul warmed.

He's so cute!

The skeleton reached over to his bag, putting away his books and paper while digging out his sketchbook. Tucking the sketchbook under his arm, he picked up the small skeleton, blanket and all, and moved over to the couch.

Placing his sketchbook on the cushion, he grabbed one of the couch pillows with his free hand and set it in his lap before easing Goth's head down onto it. Palette chuckled at the way he nuzzled into it before flipping to a clean page in his sketchbook to doodle while his friend slept.

A little more than an hour later, there was a knock at the door. Shifting himself out from under his friend, Palette got up to answer it, having an idea of who it was. 

Sure enough, Reaper and Geno were standing in the doorway.

He let them into the house, directing the pair over to where Goth was still curled up in a ball on the couch. "Thanks for letting him stay with you," Reaper thanked the young skeleton quietly, scooped his son up into his arms.

"No problem. I'm glad I walked home with him; otherwise, he would have sat outside in the rain by himself," Palette replied, keeping his voice low as well.

"I'm glad he has someone like you to look after him," Geno murmured, gently rubbing a hand along his son's cheek, "He's certainly smart, but he has his forgetful moments and he's usually too shy to ask for help."

After getting Goth's still-damp clothes from the dryer and Palette's reassurance that they could return the pajamas he was wearing another time, the family left for their house.

Palette shut the door and returned to the couch, picking up his sketchbook. He smiled softly at the nearly finished picture of Goth sleeping on his lap, a light greenish-yellow blush dusting his cheeks.

Goth's smart, yeah... but he's also kind, thoughtful, modest, trustworthy, observant, empathetic... and the best thing that's ever happened to me. I'll always be there to help him just like he helps me, no matter what.

***

Word Count: 1,217