chapter 10

chapter 10 Blood, Sweat, and Tears

------
dear soulmate,

i thought i already got rid of the pain the past had brought me. but recently, i had a dream. it felt so real and the fear it had induced me still remained the same.

i know that i would wake up alone and scared just like any other night.

but i wasn't. and above all, it wasn't you who was there by my side.

just when will you find me? i'm getting a bit tired of waiting haha.

oo

------

"You're that girl...!" Yui exclaimed, pointing at the girl beside Laito.

The girl in question tilted her head and pointed at herself. "Yah?"

The redhead didn't know what hit him but he quickly stood in between the two girls, using his body to shield his friend from the stranger.

He gave Yui a soft gentle smile, "And who might you be?"

The blonde was startled, her cheeks flushed as her heart started to beat wildly. Her hands flew to her chest, a shy smile making its way to her lips.

"A-ah. I-I..." she stuttered.

"She's the real bride," Reiji answered, adjusting his eyeglasses.

Laito's expression darkened, sharp green eyes gazing at Reiji's.

"Real bride?" the girl behind Laito interjected, stepping aside for her presence to be acknowledged. "What's up with the real bride..?"

"Let's go and gather ourselves in the living room." The crimson-eyed male answered their inquiry, walking past the pair. His gloved hand reached for the confused girl's head but he stopped midway, using said hand to smoothen his hair instead.

The girl remained oblivious to such act. She was trying to solve the puzzle unraveled in front of her.

Real sacrificial bride?

"I'll take your luggage." her thoughts were dismantled as she heard Laito's voice directed towards the blonde girl.

The fedora man took the blushing girl's luggage with his free arm. He then glanced at her, offering her a soft smile.

"I'm going to bake this dough on the way," he explained.

"Mhm... Yeah..." the girl nodded at him, giving a small smile. Her eyes unintentionally glanced at Yui for a short while. And then she saw it.

The face of a young maiden falling in love.

-------

The entire household cramped in the common room. Yui sat on a couch, sandwiched between Ayato and Kanato. She kept glancing at Laito who was holding a cake while conversing with the girl she bumped against months ago.

Reiji remained standing at a distance, observing the entire room. Shuu was lying down on his personal couch, a new set of earphones in his ears. Subaru carried his brooding face, as usual, leaning on a nearby wall.

"Now you brought a pancake home?" Ayato light complained to Reiji, pointing at Yui who was still staring at Laito.

"She's the real sacrificial bride," Reiji answered in annoyance, almost at his limit. He has repeated this for almost the nth time.

"I found the situation with our initial sacrificial bride to be off-putting. I conducted an investigation which led me to Yui Komori." he continued. "She's living in the apartment she was supposed to lodge in. "